CNET Editors' review
Speed-reading programs are older than computer programs, but they're a natural when teamed up as software. Speed Reading III is a simple, free tool that tests your reading speed but not your comprehension. It's designed to help you increase your reading speed and concentration, which can boost comprehension. The basic idea isn't to try to read every word as fast as you can but to focus on a midpoint and see how well you understand the message.
Speed Reading III opens with a plain and simple interface containing a text message that describes the basics of reading speed and how the application helps you gauge and improve your speed. It also offers basic instructions for using the program, including selecting your own text files as source material. The test view has a window on the left and speed controls on the right: radio buttons for selecting Very Slow to Fast as well as a slider for selecting between 200 and 400 words per minute. You can adjust the speed while reading, too. We clicked Start, and the program began displaying short snippets of text in an article, moving from column to column and down the rows. The idea is to increase the speed until you've found a setting that you're comfortable with. As you practice, you can keep increasing the speed as your ability to process the text increases. That's all Speed Reading III does: It doesn't grade or test you on what you just read; it just helps you determine how fast you read and helps you develop better reading skills. We like the ability to use your own text, which helps you understand how fast you read the things you actually read, not a prepared text.
As we noted, Speed Reading III doesn't test your reading comprehension, which is a much different thing from reading speed and depends on the material as well as the reader. Whether or not you understand what you read isn't this tool's job; it just helps you understand how fast you read and how you can read faster.
Speed Reading III lets the user try one method to increase reading speed and comprehension. Ten practice text sources are built-in and you can also select any text file as a source. Reading speed can be adjusted from approximately 50 words per minute to 1500 words per minute using four radio buttons (very slow, slow, medium and high) and a slider. Comprehension is not tested. This utility displays full text very dimly with snapshots of normal black text moving across the page.
What's new in this version: Version 1.1.3 uses an installer and is compatible with Win 7.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Aid believers in their study and defense of the Holy Scriptures...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Maximize your system's performance, keep your system clean and ...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Surf the Internet with customizable browser.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Organize and manage your personal finances.
- Make learning to type fun for your kids.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Release occupied files or folders to quickly modify or delete t...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great software for starting out, at speed reading"
Version: Speed Reading III 1.1.3
Easy to install, and you can load your own text files for practice sessions. Forces concentration and teaches eye placement.
Limited in functions and does not test comprehension
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: