CNET Editors' review
Black Castle Software's Song Mixer is a free music manager that makes it especially easy to create playlists and party mixes out of multiple file libraries and locations. You can browse, play, rip, copy, and organize your tunes for burning, or take advantage of its advanced randomization and "mood ring" features to let Song Mixer create playlists based on your preferences. It's based around some familiar open-source tools, such as LAME, WGET, and Free DB, with appropriate credit given, too.
Song Mixer's colorful interface and friendly fonts give it an old-school look and feel that is not only a drastic departure from the slick gray skins typical of music tools these days but also a highly welcome one. However, it's an up-to-date layout with an icon-based toolbar above, main controls on the left, and a gridded file list in the main display, with a new music library displayed and waiting to be filled with tunes. The top button, Library, included subcategories for creating, saving, and modifying libraries. Song Mixer can automatically search for and add tunes, or you can browse to specific locations, including network shares. The MP3 button called up a media player window that included the ability to specify drives, fill playlists with random selections, sync changes, and other functions. The Mix Disc button offered similar features, only geared toward creating playlists for burning files to disk. The Playlist button let us access and edit our playlists, as many as we needed. There's also an RSS feed feature and other extras such as a Debug Log, a Shuffle feature, song importing, duplicates searching, and the Group feature, which groups songs by mood or genre. Some features had useful message balloons. There's even a Name That Tune game that requires online songs in your library.
Song Mixer certainly stands apart from other music managing software, including both the huge-do-it-all packages and their so-called alternatives. But Song Mixer is easy to use, versatile, and a good performer in addition to being just different. If you're still running Vista, you'll need to run Song Mixer as an administrator, and 64-bit Vista and Windows 7 systems may need Microsoft's help file patch. We had no trouble, though.
From Black Castle Software:
Organize your music into one or multiple libraries. No matter if your collection consists of audio cds, mp3, wma, (or any other file format), folders on your computer, cd-roms, dvd-roms, networked file servers, or any combination of these. With Song Mixer you can organize them into a library which you can use to browse, listen to, copy to your mp3 player (in the case of audio cds ripping and encoding as you go), prepare for burning onto a mix disc (either audio or data disc), or just build playlists.
Song Mixer has advanced randomization abilities which allow you to quickly and easily come up with a random mix of music you know you'll like. You can use our patented "mood ring" to select types of songs. It is favoring some genres more than others if you wish. Song Mixer will remember id numbers of songs that have been chosen in the past, and how recently, so that your next mix will contain newer and less heard songs. You may also give songs, albums, and artists ratings which will affect how likely they will show up in random mixes.
What's new in this version: Version 3.7.3 fixed now an error message is shown and the user must close applications that might be using this file.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix and record songs in MP3 format.
- Mix MP3 files and record your mixed music to MP3 directly.
- Create, record, and edit your own music.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Provide full-featured DJ and beat mixing system to remix MP3 or...
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Make beats and mix samples with wide range of features.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Edit your tunes or remix MP3s on your computer.
- Record custom remixes of your favorite music.
- Make your custom music mixes spiced with scratches, scats, raps...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Load or record audio clips and mix them together.
- Play Midi and Kar files and display the lyrics.
- Convert audio CDs to compressed formats.