CNET Editors' review
Screen-capture utilities come in a lot of different flavors; some are so basic that they're barely useful, while others are jam-packed with complex features. SnapShot is a program that doesn't go to either extreme. It has plenty of useful tools and options, but it's still simple enough to master within a minute or two.
The program's interface is plain, with a viewing area in which you can see your most recent screen capture and a few menus across the top that give you access to the program's settings. SnapShot uses hot keys to let you capture the entire screen, the active window, or a specific area of the screen that you can select with the mouse. Once the image is loaded in SnapShot, you can copy it to the clipboard, send it to Paint or an image editor, e-mail the image, or upload it using FTP. There are plenty of ways to customize SnapShot's behavior: you can specify the default image editor, have the program hide its taskbar button, and automatically save captured images to a specific directory. You can also select JPEG quality and select from seven different file types for saving or sending images. The program doesn't have a Help file per se, but it does come with a ReadMe file that that contains basic notes about its usage. Overall, we found SnapShot to be easy to work with and we were quite happy with its performance. Anyone seeking a simple screen-capture utility should give it a try.
SnapShot comes as a ZIP file but installs and uninstalls without issues.
From BlueFive Software:
SnapShot is a no nonsense screen capturing tool that allows you to grab your desktop, window, or any part of the screen and save it as JPG or PNG (all the usual popular formats are available) or send it straight to your favorite editor, for further editing. You can also send screen captures as an attachment with the build-in e-mail engine, or upload them via FTP. Other features include global hotkeys, automatically save screen captures, automatic filename generation and support for external editors.Options/Features: - Capture screen, window, rectangular area. - Global configurable hotkeys to instantly activate screen capturing. - Options to specify output destination (file, editor, clipboard, printer, e-mail). - Save in BMP, GIF, JPEG, PCX, PNG, PSD, and TIFF formats. - Run minimized or minimize to System Tray area. - Include mousepointer, play sound on capture. - Supports multiple monitors and Dualview. - Automatically save screen captures, automatic filename generation. - Send screen captures to Paint or to your favorite image editing program. - Send screen captures by build-in e-mail (supports Exchange Server). - Upload screen captures by build-in FTP engine (File Transfer Protocol).
What's new in this version: Version 1.0.6: Hotkeys (shortcuts to capture screenshots) are now configurable. Compatibility fix for Win 8, Win 2008 servers and 64 bit machines.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Capture screen images, scrolling areas, screen action, video, a...
- Capture anything on your PC screen and draw annotation objects.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Capture area, full screen or single window.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Capture and print out anything on PC screen via hotkeys.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Pick colors, rule pixels, magnify and capture screen.
- Capture and annotate any part of the screen.
- Capture your screen and add colorful effects.
- Capture images from your computer screen, tweak and enhance, sh...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Capture window, region and scrolling page with a simple way and...
- Capture the entire screen or selected area of the screen and sa...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great product for capturing specific pieces of data"
Version: SnapShot 1.0.6
Capture allows user to capture either full screen, only the active window or to highlight a specific rectangular area. These options are a lot better than traditional "Print Screen". The rectangle capture is very useful for piecing together summaries of data (such as user or trouble shooting guides from web sites. The copied image can be sent to the clip board,"image editor" "paint", email or "ftp".
User must remember to select the "edit" feature from the drop down menu to choose the use of the data. I would be nice to be offered that selection automatically after the data capture is complete. The product periodically freezes up which is easily worked around with the Task Manager.
This product does everything that I expect a "snap shot" program to offer. Great product!!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content