CNET Editors' review
You get what you pay for, or so the saying goes. In the case of SmoothDraw, that particular truism isn't so true. This free painting and drawing software delivers features and quality that we'd only expect to find in something we'd have to pay for, and we think that anyone who likes to create digital art should check it out.
The program's interface is intuitive, with toolbars down the left side and across the top. SmoothDraw comes with a wide variety of tools, including various pencils, pens, airbrushes, paintbrushes, hatch brushes and so on. There are also grass and star stamps and an image hose, all of which are a lot of fun to use. Users can adjust the brush size and ink flow for each brush, and there are also settings for tablet pressure and hardness. Cloning and retouching tools, important parts of any image-editing arsenal, are present as well, and layering capabilities let users create complex images. Unfortunately, the program doesn't have a Help file, which would have been useful for those who don't have much experience with digital art. But even users who haven't tried anything more sophisticated than Microsoft Paint will have fun experimenting with SmoothDraw. Overall, we think that SmoothDraw is a great choice for users of all abilities; it's accessible enough that beginners can use it, but it packs enough advanced features to be useful to serious artists.
SmoothDraw installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program to all users.
SmoothDraw is a natural painting and digital free-hand drawing software that can produce high quality pictures, with an intuitive UI. It supports many kinds of brushes (pen, pencil, dry media, airbrush, bristle brush, and image hose); retouch tools (burn, dodge, blur, shapen, and smudge). Works with tablets and Tablet PC.
It also supports image transform, adjustments and effects; Layers and Layer blend modes; Free canvas rotation. You can draw and paint in super quality, with special sub-pixel level smoothing for thin lines.
What's new in this version: Version 4.0.1 include New design direction and new UI and Localization by JSON files (Anyone now can create translations by copying and modifying these JSON text files.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Create artwork, edit, enhance, and manage your digital photos.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- View angels, hearts and roses creating artwork for Valentine's ...
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Draw with simulated natural brush tools and apply effects to yo...
- Edit your images using various painting and drawing tools.
- Edit images with layers, animation, icon editing, batch, stacki...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Use a drawing and image manipulation program on your Pocket PC.
- Edit and convert photos to common image formats.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your image files.
- View, retouch, create, and edit images in all formats.
- Add soft drop shadows to any object in PowerPoint.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Draw and edit images in various formats.
- Capture, print, and save your entire screen or its selected are...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 29 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Comes with malware (Yontoo)"
Version: SmoothDraw 4.0.1
(have not actually run program yet so gave it average 3 star rating due to having to chose something)
Comes with adware even after declining Cnet's ad-ons.
luckyleap0816.exe (diagnosis: Malware family: Yontoo (fs)
"A versatile and powerful digital painting program."
Version: SmoothDraw 4.0.1
Very easy to learn the basics of and create art.
Saves in 72dpi resolution which has to be re-sized.
So far I have created near photo quality portraits without having to take a class or study a manual or make custom brushes. I have a number of programs but i have not even stopped to learn the others because this one program does what I want and for free.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: