CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the iTunes App Store, where you must continue the download process. You must have iTunes installed in order to open the link, and you must have an active iTunes account to download the application. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Skype for iPad is a finely implemented mobile version of the incredibly popular global communication tool, complete with voice and video chat, contact management, and more. Where other desktop apps stumble in their transition to the touch screen, Skype thrives and it shows in nearly every facet of its iPad release.
When you open Skype for iPad, you must either sign in or create a new account. After doing so you can import contacts from any of your existing accounts -- including Outlook, Mail, or Apple's iContacts. Your contact list will populate on the right of the screen and you can connect with someone by tapping their portrait. The portraits are often fuzzy, but that's because of the desktop resolutions, not your iPad. Adding new contacts is easy, as is dialing someone directly if using Web-to-voice calling. While there are not nearly as many options here, such as file attachments or note taking, you can send video messages and photos remotely, even if the other person is offline.
Skype for iPad is not a full-featured version of the software -- you'll need a desktop or laptop for that -- but it perfectly captures what you will need and want out of the software when using your iPad on the go. This is a solid, well-executed piece of software in many ways.
Skype for iPad brings a new experience where your Skype contacts get closer with full screen video. You can connect with them through call, video call, and instant message. And if you add a little Skype Credit, call landlines and mobiles at really low rates also. You can talk face-to-face or show what you're seeing with front and back-facing cameras and use Skype for iPad to call anyone else on Skype - and enjoy near CD quality (SILK) sound. Skype for iPad works over Wi-Fi or 3G (operator data charges may apply). Call Skype contacts on their iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, PC, Mac and even Skype enabled TVs. You can flick through recent calls and instant messages in your Skype for iPad history.
What's new in this version:
- Automatic call recovery for dropped calls.
- Fix so that instant message conversations appear in the correct order.
- Marketing opt-in / out selector within app registration.
- Improved UI allowing a simple swipe from the left of the screen to see your recent conversations in a sidebar.
- Improved spacing and minor UI changes for iPad mini screen size.
More Products to Consider
- Call landlines and mobile phones anywhere in the world for chea...
- Stay on top of your Gmail easier with this fast and mobile inbo...
- Provide users with a better place to interact with others world...
- Enhance your student life.
- Get the official Gmail experience for your iPhone, iPad, or iPo...
- Make calls and SMS for free.
- Send pictures to your friends from your iPhone.
- Watch your Ivideon Server cameras remotely over the Internet us...
- Lets to type emails in Hebrew.
- Make VoIP calls directly through the iPhone.
- Check your YouMail voicemail directly from your iPhone.
- Call, text, fax, and receive voicemail from your iPhone for low...
- Send emails with multiple attachments using full capacity permi...
- Enhance your Web conference experience.
- FREEE WHIP!!! WHIP APP IN BIG BANG THEORY Carry a whip around a...
- Record your iPhone or iPad screen in real time.
- Lets you to make call to any pre-selected phone number from you...
- Denne tjeneste er en tjeneste som har til forml finne ut hvorda...
- Get the video recording application for your iPhone.
- TeamCall for iPad/iPhone edition introduces a second generation...
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Allows you to predefine contacts into an email group on your ip...
- VOC S/A a principal revista de carreira e finanas pessoais do B...
- SIP Tunneled Dialer for IPhone.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content