CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
As very valuable real estate, the home screen of a mobile device contains a user's favorite widgets and the most frequently-visited applications and allows quick access to information. All of these, however, take up a lot of space. Sidebar Lite comes in handy because it allows an extra strip of app icons. It can quickly be accessed, but is normally hidden.
Sidebar Lite loads immediately and requires no additional setup other than adding applications to the strip. The bar, itself, is accessed by simply swiping the left edge of the screen inward. The sidebar has a translucent look to it and displays the icons exactly as they appear on the home screen. At the bottom of the bar, a green plus sign allows the user to add more icons. Once the add button has been activated, a black drop-down menu appears that lists all the applications that are currently installed on the device. After a program is selected it will appear on the sidebar. To remove the icon from the sidebar the user depresses the icon and holds until a small menu appears. This menu allows the user to edit or delete the application from the bar. Widgets such as GPS toggle, Wi-Fi toggle, sound control, and brightness can also be placed on the bar. During our testing, the app performed perfectly and had no visible bugs. This app is free but comes with some limitations. There is also a Pro version available with a full set of features.
Sidebar Lite adds usability and personalization to any Android device. It's also bug-free, uses very few resources, and never lags. Almost every Android user will find it useful.
From Mohammad Adib:
Introducing Sidebar - A brilliant new way of multitasking on Android.***Won Best App at CodeDay Seattle Feb 2013***It's fast, functional, fluid, and customizable to your liking. Populate the sidebar with your favorite apps, and simply swipe in from the edge of the screen to gain instant access to the apps you use most. Simple - yet elegant.- Fast, fluid, and immersive animations are integrated within Sidebar that keep it as quick as possible, yet help to add a dash of elegance to its presence.- A simple Add button appended at the end of the sidebar summons a menu listing all the apps installed on your system. Simply pick an app, and it will be added to the sidebar for quick access.- To dock the sidebar, simply select an app or touch outside- To remove an app, simply swipe it out of the sidebar! Alternatively, long pressing will bring up further options such as inserting and replacing.- Add widgets: many widgets/toggles are included (App drawer, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sound, Rotation, Brightness, Torch, Running Apps, Music play/pause/skip)Customization:- Starting on boot- Adjusting the width & opacity of the bar- Adjusting the color scheme & position- Enabling/Disabling animations- Adjusting the swipe sensitivity- Enabling/Disabling vibrationSidebar LiteSidebar Lite is limited in settings and the total number of items that can be added (8) as well as widgets (3). The basic fluid, fast, multitasking capability is still there. It is a trimmed version of the fully customizable Sidebar Pro, without bloat or additional annoyances giving it a rather premium feel to begin with.Sidebar ProSidebar Pro lifts the limitations put on the lite version and opens access to new customizability as well as functionality - elevating sidebar, to its most impeccable and pure state.Sidebar Pro offers the full set of features. These include:- Unlimited items!- Unlimited widgets!- Unlimited widget usage!- Full settings!- Adjust width!- Adjust opacity!- Choose color scheme!- Disable notification!- Lock items!DevelopmentSidebar is in constant development. Development began as soon as the idea stemmed well before the debut of Ubuntu Phone and recent such apps. The developer ensures a smooth and polished experience to every single user. User experience is key in making Sidebar the perfect multitasking app for Android. XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2152373Awards- Sidebar was showcased on the front page of XDA as well as on XDA TV- Sidebar was also the best among Android Authority's Top 7 Apps of the week- Sidebar was reviewed by AddictiveTips- Sidebar won Best Application at CodeDay Seattle hosted by StudentRND.The NotificationIt prevents Android from killing Sidebar. Without it, sidebar could not run forever in the foreground and would eventually be closed.PermissionsWhy the camera permission? In order for the torch widget to function, full access to the camera hardware is required by Android.Recent changes:Version 3.1- Increased widget limit to 3- Removed usage limits on widgetsVersion 3.0- Bug fixes and animation slider added to settings- New music widgets added- App drawer widget added- Tabbed app selector- App selector cachingVersion 2.7- Bug fixes and animation slider added to settings- Max widget count set to 2Version 2.6- Added recent apps widgetContent rating: Everyone
What's new in this version: Version 3.1- Increased widget limit to 3- Removed usage limits on widgetsVersion 3.0- Bug fixes and animation slider added to settings- New music widgets added- App drawer widget added- Tabbed app selector- App selector cachingVersion 2.7- Bug fixes and animation slider added to settings- Max widget count set to 2Version 2.6- Added recent apps widget
More Products to Consider
- Clean cache, unused files, privacy history and app packages on ...
- Protect your mobile device with both anti-theft and antivirus.
- Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!.
- Explore phones and PCs over net.
- Provide one-stop solution for mobile security and performance.
- Wifi Free gives you information about all nearby WiFi spots - b...
- Widget with the status of the battery, represented by the chara...
- Kill unnecessary apps and running tasks.
- Real Volume Booster increases your Android device's volume. The...
- The BT Reader Plus application supports text messages reading t...
- AnWP Flat, new theme specially designed for Toucher, now FREE t...
- Install apps from your SD card on Android 2.0+ phones.
- Sidebar - A brilliant new way of multitasking on Android.
- ***REQUIRES ROOT******SOME SPRINT PHONES MIGHT NOT WORK******Em...
- The ultimate router password recovery tool.
- Answer your call without even touching your Android phone.
- Auto Refresh for Next Browser is a simple and useful browser pl...
- A learning app that is interactive, educational and develops ca...
- Turns your Android device into a WiFi or Bluetooth universal re...
- * NOT FOR MINECRAFT PE *Become a Minecraft Creeper! Skins for M...
- AcuSlide by AcuTroller: Accurate trolling means MORE BIG FISH.
- Bring Window 8 Taskbar to your Android.
- Discover the best Android apps and share them with your friends...
- The #1 BEST and EASIEST inventory editor tool for Minecraft Poc...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content