CNET Editors' review
Advanced Mac users, including developers, often have to enter commands to display hidden files. Show Hidden Files for Mac allows this to be accomplished with the click of a button, although this may not be necessary for experienced developers.
Show Hidden Files for Mac is available as freeware with advertisements for other programs displayed initially, but these can be disabled or enabled easily from the main drop down menu. Easy to download, the application installs and runs quickly. Its interface is simple, with buttons to hide and show files, although some advanced features could be less intuitive to the average Mac user.
The largest buttons, as would be appropriate, are for showing or hiding major hidden files. You can also specifically designate additional folders to hide or display as needed. Instructions are not available and would be helpful for the program's more-advanced features, as would product support, which is not apparent. Typically, Mac users need to use the terminal to hide or show certain files, which may be a hindrance to some people, making this program helpful. Professionals may find the steps of loading the application just as cumbersome, if not more so, than the terminal commands, rendering the program less useful. There are no additional features, but since this software is available as freeware and marketed only for a limited purpose, this is not unexpected.
While free, Show Hidden Files for Mac is of limited utility to advanced users of the Mac terminal, but would be helpful for someone with little knowledge of manually showing hidden files.Show Hidden Files - Hide or make visible files on your Mac - Download Video Previews:
If you are a webmaster, software developer, or advanced user, you may find yourself having to frequently switch between show all files and hide hidden files on your Mac. This can be done with a few lines in UNIX, but why not save yourself the time and use Show Hidden Files. In addition, we have combined features with our (now deprecated) Change File Visibility program - so you can now use Show Hidden Files to set the visibility flag on files and folders as well.
What's new in this version: Mountain Lion Improvements
More Products to Consider
- Use Flex, Flash, AJAX to build rich Internet apps that deploy t...
- Design, develop, and maintain standards-based websites and appl...
- Create web sites and blogs.
- Updates Java components.
- Mac OS X development environment.
- Edit audio, add audio effects on Mac OS X easily.
- Komodo Edit: Free multi-platform, multi-language editor: Perl, ...
- Y2K fixes for the web publishing software.
- Container controls for Xojo that can be embedded in a window.
- Use undo feature at your daily Xojo tasks.
- Host multiple web sites through easy-to-use virtual hosting.
- Date control plugin for Real Studio and Xojo.
- Text editor for plain text files with many options.
- Xojo and REAL Studio plugin that adds error alerts to required ...
- Xojo and Real Studio calendar control plugin.
- Manage business database applications.
- Back up your data to online server and access it anywhere from ...
- Adds TreeView plug-in control for Xojo and Real Studio.
- Rapidly prototype websites and application interfaces.
- Add six multi-precision data types to Xojo.
- Save all iDevices contents into your PC.
- Create a secure folder where you can hide your private folders.
- Create games for Mac, PC, or Web with a free development tool.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content