SheepShaver is an open source emulator of PowerPC based Macintosh computers. Using SheepShaver it is possible to emulate a Macintosh computer capable of running Mac OS 7.5.2 through 9.0.4. Builds of SheepShaver are available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. When SheepShaver is installed on a PowerPC based system, applications run at native speeds. When the emulator is installed on other systems, applications run at about 1/8 native speed. SheepShaver is considered a good replacement for the Classic Environment which is not available in the most recent versions of Mac OS X.
What's new in this version:
- Gamma fix that allows running Ferazel's Wand and some other games.
- When SheepShaver is not using CD-ROMs (CD-ROM driver disabled in preferences), SheepShaver will no longer prevent ejecting CD-ROMs in the OSX host.
- More reliable mounting and unmounting CD-ROMs while SheepShaver is running. (Not in Mountain Lion, see known issue below.)
- Accidental mounting of disk images at the same time in SheepShaver and OSX is prevented.
- Copy and paste formatted text bot... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Recover and protect data on your Mac, monitor S.M.A.R.T. and ba...
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Detect and download updates for all of your installed software.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Unarchive ZIP, TAR, SIT, RAR, and 7-Zip files.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- 10.2 compatibility for XFree86, OroborOSX...
- Makes Mac OS 8 look more like Mac OS 8.
- Tool to create multiple clipboards.
- For Xserve (Early 2009) computers.
- Universal .rar and .zip file opener.
- Update your Macintosh Manager client software.
- Internet access software for the ISP.
- Macintosh Plus emulator.
- Create multiple clipboards, switch between clipboards on the fl...
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: SheepShaver 2.3.20120701
let's me run old Intelex cd-roms
it's not perfect
Thumbs up for the new copy-and-paste capabilities.
Updated on Jul 4, 2012
"Good Classic replacement"
Version: SheepShaver 2.3.20101106
Works most of the time
But not all the time. Some old programs just won't work.
I use it to run a legacy version of "Canvas" (version 3.5). This one works, which is all I really wanted "classic" for.
"Brilliant Mac OS Emulator"
Version: SheepShaver 2.3.20101106
It works beautifully! 64-bit! Intel! Will probably work on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion!
Getting it set up is a bit annoying. It occasionally crashes.
I am very pleased that the SheepShaver project lives on. I spent a couple hours with this new, updated and slightly simpler 64-bit Intel version and it runs great!
My favorite version of Mac OS was 8.6. I have it installed as per instructions and enjoy playing in it. Everything runs very well. The only trouble I ran into was a missing QuickTime video codec for a game, which probably means I have to dig out a later version of QuickTime.
If you want to run most of your old Mac OS applications and system add-ons, this is the way to go. Be sure to follow the excellent instructions very carefully. The hardest part is getting an old Mac OS ROM file, but the instructions will help.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content