CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will prompt a local download of the Firefox extension. To install the extension directly, open the file using your Firefox browser.
CNET Editors' review
Here's a neat add-on for Firefox. Search Everywhere doesn't actually search everywhere; it only searches directly linked Web pages. This free extension creates a Google Custom Search Engine based on pages linked to the current page. When you enter a search term, Search Everywhere queries only those linked sites. This lets you quickly zero in on content, find hidden gems of information buried deep in large sites, and browse similar sites for related interests or content.
Search Everywhere placed its icon in the Firefox status bar in our browser window's lower right corner. Clicking this icon opened a narrow search toolbar along the bottom of our main window. This toolbar's first option is marked SiteSearch; checking it limits searches to just the target site. There's a hot-key combination, Alt + I, for this frequently used option, too. You can also select three URL extraction options: Exact, for narrow searches; Paths, which omits file names; and Hosts, which searches only hosts extracted from URLs, creating the broadest search engine. The Filter option filters out URLs that would otherwise dominate results, while Boost Exact allows hosts and paths but gives preference to exact URLs in searches. Aside from a check box to open search results in a new tab, the only other control is the program's status bar icon, which toggles the Search Everywhere toolbar open and closed.
We browsed to a Web site of interest, opened Search Everywhere, and entered a term that seemed likely to produce hits. It did, and Search Everywhere displayed them on a Google page in a new tab, just as we'd specified. All the hits were from pages directly linked to the page we'd searched, and, as we suspected, there was a lot of related or interesting content tucked away in odd corners that cursory checks would have missed. We typed the hot-key combo to activate SiteSearch and searched for the same term again; this time the results were all from the target page. One small touch: the "i" in SiteSearch is underlined to serve as a hot-key reminder.
Search Everywhere's developer, Paul Komarek, is an interesting guy, and custom Google search engines are just one of his hobbies. We're glad he found time for them, though, since Search Everywhere is just the sort of tool that can save you time as well as broaden your horizons.
From Paul Komarek:
Whichever Web page you visit, you can use this tool to search Web content linked from the current page. Click the icon in your status bar (a G with a chain-link under it) to open or close the search bar. Or use the keyboard shortcut: ctrl-alt-s. This extension creates an on-the-fly Google Custom Search Engine, based on the links from the current page. Try visiting http://slashdot.org, and then click the icon in your status bar (a G with a chain-link underneath). Enter a query in the textbox, and hit the Search button. You will see search results that are based on the news stories and other linked contents of the Slashdot front page.
Alternately, you can check the Site Search box and search over just the site you are visiting. Accelerator keys are accessed using the Alt-key. For example, when the toolbar is open, use Alt-i to switch to site search. Note that i in Site Search" is underlined in the user interface.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Get access to over 200 TV channels and translate Web pages.
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- View thumbnails of Web sites on Google and Yahoo search results...
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Improve Web surfing with advanced customizable features.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse internet using a Chrome-based browser with automation fe...
- Refresh pages after a selected interval.
- Detect the presence of RDF data in a Web page.