CNET Editors' review
The publishers describe SNV Timer as a reminder program, but it actually includes three separate applications designed to manage shutdown operations, user-set alerts, and more. While many will see this diversity as a benefit, others will find that the lack of integration between programs and the redundancy of some functions negatively affect SNV Timer's usefulness.
When you install SNV Timer, you'll actually get SNV Timer, SNV Notepad, and SNV Calendar, each with its own desktop icon. SNV Timer does just what its name implies: it allows you to choose a specific time or number of hours for whatever task you need to get done. SNV Notepad icon is very similar to Windows Notepad, and it offers the same features and functionality. The SNV Calendar icon brings up a basic calendar that shows a single month at a time. The main app, SNV Timer, offers the most features, and this is reflected in the packed interface to set up a timer or alarm, or schedule specific actions like shutting down your computer or opening a Web site. Pull-down menus are used for many of the nearly 20 user-set options, but in many cases it seemed as if setting up the alert or alarm took more time than the end result merited. Each timer or alert can appear in a separate window, which can clutter up your desktop pretty quickly. You can customize the background and even attach music to your alerts or timers, but depending on how many you have set up, you can be inundated with tiny windows that you'll need to take time to manually close if you want to get rid of them.
SNV Timer installed quickly and it does have a lot of options, but it seemed like the useful features were buried among a multitude of other features and functionality that are already covered elsewhere with basic Windows utilities and programs. For shutting down your computer or opening a Web page, users might be better off downloading a simplified program designed to accomplish just those tasks.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of SNV Timer 3.0.6.
From Nikolay Sukhorukov:
SNV Timer is a powerful and beautiful reminder program that combines a highly customizable alarm clock, a countdown timer, a monthly calendar, a nice notepad and runs many scheduled tasks. For example, it can simultaneously show an elegant text message, play a randomly picked MP3 file or your own voice message, show a randomly picked picture or a video clip, shut down or reboot a PC, start a password-protected screen saver, dial a phone number, run a Windows application, open a document or a Web site. This program can be used as a personal planner, an interval timer, a birthday reminder, a shutdown timer, a custom text viewer/ editor and more. An excellent feature of SNV Timer is that its trigger time can quickly and easily be set by turning the minute/ hour hand on the clock face. The scheduled tasks can run at specific times (e.g. daily, specific days of the week, monthly, yearly) or at regular intervals (e.g. seconds, minutes, hours, days). The missed tasks may be assigned to run at Windows startup. A wide variety of means are available to modify the view of SNV Timer and its additional Calendar and Notepad applications. The background picture, color, speed of fading in/out, size and other properties may be set in most of the SNV Timer windows, message boxes and tool tips. The Main window title, shadow color, tray icon, clock face color, border, start-up sound and much more can be modified also. The very important feature of SNV Timer is that its multiple instances can be opened as separate fully customizable windows - each with different tasks. For example, a timer can be created for personal exercise sessions which plays sports music. Also, an alarm for a dinner break can be set up which shows food pictures. Each instance can be started hidden, normal, or minimized to a tray icon.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Automate shutdown of PC after a certain time interval or at a p...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Manage & organize recipe collections.
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Manage and view your notes and reminders on the desktop.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Shutdown, reboot, or log off your PC at designated time.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Shut down your system based on certain options.
- Shut down your system based on certain options.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Automate shutdown, restart, logoff, and sleep for your PC.
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Clean junk files and optimize your PC.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Set reminders for important events and an alarm clock for any d...
- Shut down, hibernate, log off, or restart the computer at prede...
- Create and distribute digital clocks and screensavers with coun...
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
- Schedule shutdown of your computer at a consonant time.
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1