CNET Editors' review
Tigzy's RogueKiller scans your PC for malicious processes and kills them on command so you can root them out. Although it deletes malicious Startup files, RogueKiller doesn't clean your system. Instead, it recommends Malwarebytes' AntiMalware freeware for the task. We agree. RogueKiller also packs tools to fix Host, Proxy, and DNS issues, as well as a Shortcuts cleaner. We tried RogueKiller 64+ for 64-bit Windows.
Quit all running processes before opening RogueKiller. The program's interface is fairly plain but nicely rendered. Tabs display and sort scan results for Processes, Registry, Hosts, Proxy, DNS, Driver, Files, MBR, and Shortcuts by name, status, and other attributes. Options include Tools and Reports, as well as checkboxes for MBR Scan, Check FAKED, and AntiRootkit scans. All are enabled by default, but deselecting unnecessary steps can speed up scans. Not that RogueKiller's scans are slow! Just the opposite, but at least ours were fast compared to similar tools. The program starts with a prescan that asks permission to share anonymous data with the developer (or you can quit RogueKiller). Next, the full scan. Ours finished sooner than expected yet still found three little PUPs to delete (which we did). Clicking "Report" produced a comprehensive text-based log file. A pop-up warned us that the Shortcut Fixer restores hidden files from the hard drive and should only be used to restore your desktop from a Fake HDD rogue infection; so we filed the information in hopes that we'll never need it! When RogueKiller finished, we ran AntiMalware to remove all infections permanently, as recommended.
We're glad RogueKiller 64+ didn't find any serious threats, and what it did find we were happy to see tossed. This free program can pull its weight on any security team, and 64-bit performance ices the cake.
RogueKiller is a tool written in C++, which scans the running processes, and kills those which are malicious. It developed based on speed execution, which will clean the running processes before being killed, and on demand will clean the registry in order to make a faster and safer disinfection then with the usual tools. The tool does not remove files (except malicious .lnk in the startup folder), so you will have to clean then with MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware).
What's new in this version: Version 8.6.3 added detections and crash feedback link into crash window, and fixed bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Scan and kill malicious processes on your Windows PC.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your comput...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Get these tools to help edit Call of Duty models in 3DS Max.
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Kill running malware processes that stop the use of normal anti...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Keep your system safe from the latest threats.
- Rescue your computer from viruses and malware.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great product but watch out for Updates"
Version: RogueKiller (64 bit) 8.6.3
Great product for removed hard to get malware, fixing hosts, proxy and DNS settings.
Really fast scan (less than 5 minutes)
Works where others don't
WARNING: Watch out when clicking on update which will take you to their website and try to get you to install BearShare and other junk software.
Note: I have found that is may disable your remote session if you are working on a clients computer via remote
Great product but use Caution
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content