CNET Editors' review
Red Crab Cube Timer is a stopwatch application designed to time how fast it takes you to solve Rubik's Cube. Those who enjoy trying to solve the cube as fast as possible can use this free tool to add some flair to the timing process.
The program's interface is basic and easy to navigate but not very attractive. You can choose a plain background or one of 12 illustrated backgrounds as a backdrop for the timer, which appears at the center of the screen. All of the illustrated backgrounds have a psychedelic look that isn't particularly appealing, though some users may like them. If you don't like the colorful backgrounds, you can always go with the plain background, which is seriously plain, but at least it's easier on the eyes. The program saves your time each time you start and stop the timer, so you can use that feature to challenge yourself again and again. The timer keeps track of minutes and seconds, and you can start and stop it quickly by pressing the space bar on your computer, which makes it extremely easy to use. There's no real Help file, and selecting Help from the drop-down menu takes you to the program's Web page, which doesn't offer much information. The program is pretty self explanatory, luckily.
If you're not into Rubik's Cube, Red Crab Cube Timer isn't going to be much use to you, unless you're looking for a festive stopwatch. It's free, so grab it and start twisting.
From Red Crab Software:
Red Crab Cube Timer is a multi-functional computerised stopwatch application that avid speed cubers can use to time solves. There are many features included in Red Crab Cube Timer making timing solves much easier and more suited to your way of speed cubing. The latest version of Red Crab Cube Timer, version 1.3, adds extra functionality so that you can customise the program to your needs. For example the themes section has been redesigned to allow you to create any theme you like, whether that is a background image, plain colour, or even gradients. Another addition to Red Crab Cube Timer is the statistics view where you can see your performance over time, presented through a line graph, and if you solve speeds have been getting quicker or slower. The times area, where your solve speeds appear, has also been redesigned to make it simpler to use and make it more informative. The fastest solve time in the list is highlighted in red, and a delete button is located next to each solve time. Finally there is now a written documentation in the form of a PDF file which describes and explains all of the features in Red Crab Cube Timer.
What's new in this version:
- Improved timer accuracy
- Improved times section
- Themes system allows creation of custom themes
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Play an intuitive cube puzzle game.
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Play the virtual version of Rubik's cube game on your computer.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Rotate your 3D rubik's cube.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Play with a 3D version of the world-known puzzle Rubik's Cube.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Change your wallpaper easily.
- Control the blind levels when playing a poker tournament.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Kill an application by window title or exe name.
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Set reminders for your payments, medications, and important dat...
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Sync and back up files from client computer to another drive/co...
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Add a digital timer to your desktop.
- Play a Sudoku game.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great peace of software for what it is."
Version: Red Crab Cube Timer 220.127.116.11
Backgrounds are pretty pretty, space bar functionality is great, timing is accurate, and the ability to set a 3-2-1 countdown or an inspection time is really helpful. Get's you into a competition feel for solving a cube.
Limited backgrounds, limited inspection times, if you accidentally start the time there is now way to pause it, you have to let it run, no ability to delete a specific time, single purpose, doesn't save times after you close window.
This software really can only serve one purpose, because unless you're using it to time yourself solving a Rubik's cube (or I guess other puzzle) than there are other better timers out there. What's nice about this is that it's good for emulating a competition, with inspection times and such, as well as using the biggest button to start and stop the timing. However, it does have it's quirks, such as never displaying a 0 in the ten seconds place, so your times might look like:
Kind of confusing. Also, why time the hundredths place? At least 30 of those pass from the time you finish the cube to the time you press the button. But hey, it is what it is, and I have recorded some of my best times on this thing. Definitely check it out.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: