CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the product page in the online Android Market. The application can directly be downloaded and installed on the registered Android device from your PC, or you can download it from the Android Market on your Android device.
CNET Editors' review
R-Type for Android takes you way back to the '80s with its classic humans-versus-aliens storyline and retro shoot-'em-up style of game play. Because it's more or less unchanged from its arcade predecessor, R-Type is sure to keep you hooked for hours at a time, just as it did when you were younger.
While there is a rich plot that drives R-Type, its details are relatively inconsequential. All you need to know is that you are piloting a futuristic star ship, and your primary objective is to kill aliens...lots and lots of aliens.
To begin, your ship is slow and relatively impotent, with its puny, single-stream laser. But have no fear, because the most fun part of R-Type is collecting power-ups and upgrading your ship. As you fly through levels, you'll find speed-ups, weapon upgrades, and, best of all, Force power-ups. Unique to R-Type, Force power-ups are essentially small, indestructible pods that either attach to your ship or fly independently (your choice). They are equipped with their own weapons, so they're perfect for sending into enemy territories that might otherwise be dangerous to enter.
R-Type's controls are surprisingly smooth, and come in two different styles. Arcade puts a small joypad on the bottom of your screen, while Touch lets you tap and grab anywhere to move your ship. In either case, there are buttons for charging up your cannon and for deploying your Force pod on the bottom of your screen. You can even choose between left or right orientation to suit your dexterity. Also, we suggest leaving the Autofire option on. It saves you from having to repeatedly mash your screen, and lets you focus on controlling your ship.
R-Type for Android is a pitch-perfect reincarnation of the old-school arcade hit made popular in the '80s. Its controls are smooth, graphics are sharp, and gameplay is just as we remember it. That said, we think this paid Android app should delight retro fans and new-school gamers alike.
R-Type for Android is the challenging you used to play before. And we kept all its specifics, just the way you remember it. Fly through eight levels with three different control options. Play in two difficulty levels. Upgrade with new weapons, power-ups, and attachments. Defeat 8 unique bosses and waves of various enemies. Blast off and strike the evil Bydo Empire. Don't be shy and use your best shot to take them down. It's retro, it's fun and it's also hard to master. Be the best ever to finish this masterpiece.
What's new in this version: Version 1.0.4 includes fix for Samsung Galaxy S2 crashes, updates for OpenFeint and GameFeed SDK, and other bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- The sequel to the smash hit phenomenon that took the world by s...
- Play classic Nintendo platformer game on your Android device.
- View IPL 6 live score and schedule.
- Dr. Driving drives you crazy!.
- Destroy aliens, upgrade your ship, and shoot'em up!.
- 4 Pics 1 Word - What's the word in common for 4 pictures?.
- Zombie Dash combines the timeless appeal of arcade games with s...
- Enjoy this remake of the classical Galaga/Galaxian game.
- One of the most addictive and entertaining physics based drivin...
- Shoot the bunnies on your Android device.
- Fight fires using a water cannon while moving obstacles and act...
- Think you have what it takes to adopt a POU? How will YOU custo...
- Turn your android phone into a battle field and snipe all your ...
- Trailblaze in this new standard for mobile racing game.
- Take secret missions and snipe out your targets.
- Save the remnants of humanity by slaughtering every zombie in y...
- Do you like driving big vehicles? Then you have to try Bus Simu...
- Battle, block, and maneuver your way to stop the evil plans of ...
- In a world of might and magic, are you strong enough to dominat...
- Get the yellow car out of the traffic jam.
- Cut and Slice!.
- Logo Quiz is the #1 ranked Logo Guessing Game on Google Play.
- The Sonic 4 Saga continues in Episode II!.
- Play a classic multi-directional shooter video game.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content