CNET Editors' review
We'll get straight to the point: QTranslate is one of the best translation tools we've encountered. It's versatile, powerful, and easy to use. It's an excellent choice for people who read or writes in a language other than their mother tongue.
QTranslate is deceptively simple to use. The interface is separated into two panes. To translate a chunk of text, paste it into the top pane (QTranslate will automatically detect its language), select the desired translation language, and the translated text will appear in the bottom pane. Although we liked this aspect of QTranslate, the application really shines when you're using it elsewhere on your computer -- anywhere else. Reading a newspaper in a foreign language and unsure of a word? Highlight it, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Q, and a small pop-up will appear with the translation. Want to hear the word's pronunciation? Ctrl+E will play it. This works system-wide, whether you're in a Web browser, Word document, or anywhere else with text. You can even select the translation service used; options include Google Translate, Microsoft Translator, Promt, Babylon, SDL, and Yandex. The program comes with a selection of virtual keyboards, making it easy to type characters that aren't included on your real one. The program's Help file is brief, consisting primarily of a list of keyboard shortcuts, but that's OK; QTranslate is easy to figure out. Overall, we were beyond impressed with QTranslate, and we recommend it for foreign-language readers and writers of all types.
QTranslate installs and uninstalls without issues.
QTranslate is a translator for Windows.With this utility, you simply select the text you want to translate and then press hot key (Ctrl+Q to show translation in the popup window or Double Ctrl click to show the translation in the main window). The program also has the ability to speak text (Ctrl+E) and perform a web search (Ctrl+W). Also, you can open the main window and type text manually.
What's new in this version: Version 5.1 includes 'Auto-detect proxy settings' option for proxy, 'Auto-cleanup of translation' option in the main window, Show history window, Show keyboard window, and Switch mouse mode hot keys, and Brazilian Portuguese localization.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Translate words, sentences, passages among 53 languages.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Add Google translator to your system tray.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Translate Web sites between Spanish and English automatically.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Add 43 languages auto translator to Windows Sidebar.
- Translate words, phrases, sentences, and text from 22 different...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Translate text from anywhere on screen with a single mouse sele...
- Translate text between 8 languages and hear your computer read ...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Translate any word or words on screen as you move your mouse cu...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Translate your documents and texts between 53 languages using o...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Communicate with ICQ users in their own languages.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Translate Outlook e-mails into any language with one click.
All versions:4.9 stars
out of 7 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
Version: QTranslate 5.1
My translation needs are on the lite side - a few paragraphs in Italian or German, or the occasional screen in some unknown language are about the extent of it. And for that I find QTranslate right on the money. Whether I copy and paste the text into the application, or use the pop-up that appears whenever QTranslate is already active, the app takes care of determining the language and making translation appear in just a few seconds.
And the popup makes it even easier, as it offers to translate any highlighted passage before having the main window open. But more than speed and accuracy, both of which the app scores high on, the program's ability to determine what language the text is and to undertake translations within mere seconds is most impressive.
The above reference popup, as convenient as it is, is also the reason the app gets a 1/2 star deduction. When QTranslate is active, as soon as you highlight text, the popup appears offering to translate even if you're not wanting translation. While that can be annoying, the real problem arises when you want to use the popup, and a few seconds after displaying a translation it disappears. I'm not sure what this is about, but you can recover by highlighting the text and using the main window.
So it doesn't get 5 perfect stars. It's still the program I use and recommend and distribute to others.
Version: QTranslate 5.1
After selecting the unknown word you can find its dictionary definition in several online dictionaries.
After selecting a paragraph you can have not only the translation but also the computer read it out for you (it somehow recognizes the language and has a good pronunciation) and also copy at a left click, very handy.
You can move the translation and dictionary windows in fixed positions on your screen that don't hide your text and lock them in the foreground.
Useful also for having it translate sentences that you type and want translated in other languges.
Sometimes you have to reselect the words to make the Qtranslate button reappear from auto-hide.
This is an invaluable tool for language learning and it makes redundant carrying and browsing through hefty dictionaries or switching windows for typing unknown words.
Extremely practical and swift.
A big Bravo to the developers and thanks for offering it free of charge.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content