CNET Editors' review
You remember the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Well, that's sort of the story of Prime95, too. This mild-mannered mathematics software lets users participate in GIMPS, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search. This online project uses the distributed power of many networked PCs (like yours) to search for immense Mersenne prime numbers. Prime95 lets users donate processing power to the nonprofit research project. In the hot hands of overclockers, though, Prime95 becomes an instrument of torture, running stress tests that pinpoint weak links in your system. How you use Prime95 determines its behavior.
Prime95's setup wizard offers two distinct choices: Join GIMPS, or Just Stress Testing. We started with Just Stress Testing. A pop-up wizard labeled Run a Torture Test appeared. Tools like Prime95 stress your PC by running calculations at maximum power. The test gives several options, including tests that include very little or lots of RAM, or a blend of the two, and the results give a clear picture of your PC's performance, including processor speed and other data critical to overclocking.
We could specify the number of test threads to run as well as configure a Custom test. In the Advanced menu you can specify tests by exponent, time, and other factors; the Options menu accesses not only the Torture Test features but also a Benchmarking tool, CPU options such as when and how long the tests will run, and Preferences, including the option to play a sound if it finds a new Mersenne prime (the project has uncovered 13 since 1996). Like the GIMPS tool, some of the advanced features require a free PrimeNet account.
We ran a variety of benchmarking and stress tests on our system. Tests can be very brief or run continuously for true torture testing. Prime95 displays results in a split log view that can be customized in a variety of ways as well as copied, saved, and edited. Those interested in GIMPS should visit the project's site for more information. Whether you're the friendly, collaborative researcher or the (let's be frank) mad-scientist type, this top-quality software instrument has something to offer.
Prime numbers have long fascinated amateur and professional mathematicians. An integer greater than one is called a prime number if its only divisors are one and itself. The first prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc. For example, the number 10 is not prime because it is divisible by 2 and 5. A Mersenne prime is a prime of the form 2P-1. The first Mersenne primes are 3, 7, 31, 127 (corresponding to P = 2, 3, 5, 7). There are only 44 known Mersenne primes.
GIMPS, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, was formed in January 1996 to discover new world-record-size Mersenne primes. GIMPS harnesses the power of thousands of small computers like yours to search for these "needles in a haystack".
What's new in this version:
- This latest version of prime95 has been optimized for Intel's new AVX instruction set. Owners of Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs (Core i3/i5/i7 2xxx and 3xxx) will see a substantial performance boost..
More Products to Consider
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Read and Listen the Quran in many languages, with famous recite...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Convert ePub, HTML, XML files to PDF file.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Calculate Muslim prayer time and Qiblah direction anywhere in t...
- Join the search and discover one of the Mersenne prime numbers.
- Fetch Dell warranty information directly from Dell's Warranty d...
- Manage information about your pupils and teaching.
- Create mortgage spreadsheet or running what-if scenarios.
- Search and extract data about your PC hardware with customized ...
- Get solutions and explanations to your algebra equations step-b...
- Place text, images, audio, or video on any Web page to create y...
- Microsoft Mathematics provides a graphing calculator that plots...
- Read the CBR files.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Participate in the Great Mersenne Prime Search + GIMPS"
Version: Prime95 32-bit 26
Interesting little software. Lots of options.
Some advanced features requires the hassle to set up an account but that's all.
"!congrats for your great job!"
Version: Prime95 32-bit 24.14
!!!!!!the best of all!!!!!!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content