CNET Editors' review
Pitaschio is a utility with a whole lot of options and not a lot of rhyme or reason. Although it offers some useful features, the strange combination of things it does left us scratching our heads.
The program's interface is basic, with a lot of drop-down menus and check boxes. It's easy enough to navigate, and some of the features are obviously helpful. For example, the program allows users to disable their mouse and keyboard so that they can be cleaned. That's a good thing. The program also has a random password generator. Swell. Users can choose from 21 different mouse short cuts, allowing them, for example, to start their screensaver by double clicking on the desktop. Users can disable certain keys on the keyboard, and the program offers a ton of options for dealing with windows, which we don't fully understand. These features might be tremendously useful, but we have no way of knowing, as the program includes no Help file. Most bizarrely, the program tells users where the moon currently is in its cycle, which strikes us as a perfectly random feature to throw in. How do we feel about Pitaschio? We're not sure. Although it seems somewhat useful, we are frustrated by the fact that it has cobbled together so many features with no obvious purpose behind them. Generally, we're not impressed.
Pitaschio is free. It comes as a zip file and operates after extraction with no installation. We recommend this program with reservations; there's nothing functionally wrong with it, we're just not sure of the point.
Pitaschio makes it convenient to use Microsoft Windows. It includes a variety of useful functions: snap a window to other windows when moving and resizing; restricting window position to inside of the screen; minimize windows to the system tray; use small icons in the desktop; disable the Windows key, Insert key, Alt key, or other keys; lock the mouse or keyboard while you are cleaning them; record statistics about mouse and keyboard usage; calculate the age of the Moon. Includes maximize vertically/horizontally feature, display sound volume level option, and allow extended rename option.
Version 2.26 has fixed some minor bugs.
What's new in this version: Version 2.26 has fixed some minor bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Control the keyboard, mouse, and screen of a remote PC via a mo...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Record TV programs using your mouse, keyboard, or remote contro...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Map keyboard and/or mouse to your gamepad or joystick.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Connect to your work computer by sending an encrypted e-mail me...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Burn compilations of your favorite TV shows to DVD.
- Access your home or work PC remotely.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Get a reminder when it's time for you to get rest from computer...
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Lock selected keyboard and mouse buttons and functions.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Control several computer by only using one keyboard and mouse.
- Display a flag or a symbol by your mouse cursor while detecting...
- Add a virtual keyboard on your screen.
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 18 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Superb add-on for Windows XP!"
Version: Pitaschio 2.26
Check my review where it says "Bottom-line summary"!
Maybe one con is that the password generator doesn't use special characters, but that's really nothing.
Again, check my review where it says "Bottom-line summary"!
CNET Staff needs to review this updated version.
ALL previous reviews should be deleted!
This review is for Pitaschio Version 2.26.
This program has functions that I will use on a day to day basis!
I'm used to the way Windows 7 resizes windows (ie. You can drag a window to the left or right edge of the screen and have it take up half the screen, etc.)
The snapping function of this program is nice but, Right clicking the clock in the task bar and choosing "Tile Windows Vertically" does the trick.
I'm really enjoying the "Adjust transparency by wheel" function because I don't have to bother with minimizing the window to see something under it.
The "Volume control by wheel" function is better at fine tuning the volume than the volume slider.
You have the option of disabling certain buttons.
It's nice to be able to activate a window by moving the mouse wheel, but you can just click on it as well.
Having also used Macs, I've become accustomed to the "spaces" function and this program's "Virtual desktop" provides a limited version of that.
There are A LOT of useful shortcuts you can find by pressing the "Setting of Mouse shortcut" button. You don't have to use them all.
I don't see the point of the "Setting of autoraise" function.
It is nice to be able to clean your mouse/keyboard without having to turn off your computer.
The password doesn't allow the use of special symbols, but you can find free password generators online that do.
The statistics function is interesting.
I must admit that being able to calculate the moon's age is quite odd, it doesn't take up that much space when you hover your mouse over the program icon in your task bar.
is that you should definitely download this piece of FREEware from a reputable source (CNET) before enough people catch on and it actually costs something.
If I encounter any problems, I'll add to my review, but I HAVE NOT had ANY problems.
This is one case where the well known phrase "You get what you pay for." is completely FALSE!
You pay NOTHING and get many valuable features!
Did I mention it's FREE?
CNET staff, please take a look at this new update!