CNET Editors' review
"Picto" refers to pictograms, which are visual symbols that represent things, such as "table," "chair," and "men's room." Pictograms convey meaning quickly and intuitively, and they're used in many areas, including design, transportation, and education. Picto Selector is a free tool that makes it easy to choose and create pictograms for any purpose. You can choose from thousands of free "pictos" and combine them by theme, style, or usage into picto sheets, or create new pictos from your own images and text. It offers print overlays for speech technologies, too. You can use it to create customized flash cards for teaching your kids how to read or design a pedestrian-friendly concourse for a new international airport with its symbols.
When you first run Picto Selector, the installation wizard asks you if you want to store the program's database on your PC or a database server; we chose the default option, local storage on our PC, which involves choosing a location and setting access policies, including entering our initials as a log-on ID and for the program to use in sorting sheets. When we'd finished the setup process, Picto-Selector opened its main user interface with an optional tool tip. The program's optional update checker found an updated version right away, too.
While that sounds involved, the whole process took mere minutes, and we could log on with our existing ID. Picto Selector downloaded more than 30,000 pictos (they're very small) to update our library. We finished with an up-to-date tool and a topped-off picto database.
After all that installing and updating, we were ready for a complicated tool, but we were pleasantly disappointed; with drag-and-drop capability and a pop-up Picto List to choose from, Picto Selector is not only extremely easy to use but fun, too. We clicked New Sheet to call up the program's template tool, quickly creating picture, text, and clock pictos; sclera pictos (white on black); and even way-cool timer pictos with analog or digital countdown displays using the Time Timer feature. Picto Selector has an Advanced User option that adds still more capabilities. If you're looking for pictos, try Picto Selector.
From MC van der Kooij:
Select from over 20000 pictos and combine them into picto sheets. Fast search options and categories to select from. Create you're own pictos from photo's and text. Create clock and time timer pictos. Use drag and drop to combine pictos into sheets that visualizes daily tasks. Print overlays for Go talk, Supertalker and communication devices. It is available in Dutch, French, English, Spanish, Catalan, German, Danish, Italian, Hungarian, Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.
What's new in this version: Version 1.6.11 adds 369 Arasaac black and white Pictos.
More Products to Consider
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Match cards (what goes with this) to teach and tutor children o...
- Make your CAD works in powerful DWG-compatible environment.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Convert PDF to most applications.
- Add a stunning gravity-based visualizer to iTunes.
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Enable video modeling for children with Autism and other learni...
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Get a audio visualisation tool.
- Teach children with learning disabilities including those with ...
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Get a Web browser created for children with autism.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"This has to be the best thing iv ever downloaded."
Version: Picto Selector 1.2.15
All of it.
Theres nothing i dont like about it.
Easy to use
"Easy free PECS and printing"
Version: Picto Selector 184.108.40.206
My son has autism and this really helps me. Aside from having almost 6000 pecs built into it the software makes selecting and printing those PECS easy. It's a heck of a lot easier than pulling out a big graphic software to put together PEC lists.
None that I can think of
If you don't know, PECS are pictures that help non verbal individuals communicate. They are great for helping Autistic kids stay on task because kids with Autism need visual cues. They are also great in toddler classrooms to remind little ones how and when to do things.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content