CNET Editors' review
While there are numerous apps that help you edit, organize, and share your digital images, many of them cost a lot and are geared toward users with experience in image editing. Picasa is an app from Google that offers only the basics and it won't cost you a dime.
The app's gray interface is on the plain side, but all of the options are easily accessible and even less experienced users should be able to jump right in. If you do run into difficulties, you can visit the Help center to view tutorials from the publisher and from other users. Picasa includes some basic editing tools, allowing you to crop your images or apply effects like sepia tone, but its most notable feature is facial recognition. This allows you to name an individual in your images so that person will be identified in future pictures you upload. We found this option worked best when the person was directly facing the camera, but it did make it easier to manage and find photos.
While the software could be used as a standalone photo-editing and management tool, it is designed to work with Google's photo sharing site, Picasa Web Albums. Like all things Google, it's tied into your Google account. If you don't have an account with Google or Picasa Web Albums, this software won't be as beneficial to you. For those who do use Picasa Web Albums, however, Picasa's simple integration makes it easy to edit and share your files online.Google Picasa 3.5:
Picasa is an easy way to find, edit, and share your photos. Manage your photos in one place, and find photos you forgot you had. Eliminate scratches and blemishes, fix red-eye, crop and more. Turn photos into movies, collages, slideshows, and other creations. Upload seamlessly to Picasa Web Albums to share with friends, family and the world.
What's new in this version:
- Fixed various crashes.
- Fixed name tags and contacts issues.
More Products to Consider
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Upload photos to Picasa site.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Lightweight, speedy image viewer/browser.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Image browsing and editing for both still images and movies.
- Post production tool for photographers.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Browse, view, tag and share images and galleries.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- View satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, geographic...
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- View and edit your digital photos.
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- View comic and manga images.
- Sync iPhoto libraries across computers (was iPhotoSync).
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 64 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"awful - it just doesn't work"
Version: Picasa 126.96.36.1995
-I love Picasa for PC, but this mac version is a complete disaster.
-Cannot import my pictures from iPhone (crashes all the time),
-HUGE problems to log in on picasa webalbums,
-crashes all the time.
-non retina display support
"How do I migrate data (locations and faces) to iPhoto ?"
Version: Picasa 188.8.131.525
Map functionality (for this 1 star). Thats about it.
The face recognition is lousy (at best); the GUI is terrible; the way the program scans my mobile devices that are connected to the computer without letting me controlling that.
AWFUL software. GOOGLE stop snoozing into my devices and life, you know about me more than I want anyway. If anyone will be kind enough to explain how to migrate all the data (locations and faces) to iPhoto I'll appreciate it.