CNET Editors' review
PhotoSweeper for Mac finds identical and highly similar photos and marks them for deletion. This premium product comes with a demo version and features several image comparison methods with adjustable settings, as well as a beautiful user interface that makes it a joy to use. Another noteworthy feature is the integration with professional photo editors like iPhoto, Aperture, and Adobe Lightroom.
When started, PhotoSweeper for Mac presents you with a few tips on using the software and then reveals a media browser window where you can drop iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom photo libraries. If you have a folder with images instead, you can drag and drop it directly into the main window. From the side pane you can either view additional info about the images or choose and adjust one of six comparison methods. The app is speedy, taking 23 seconds to analyze 100 images using a bitmap comparison method and the highest match setting. After the comparison you are taken to the Results page where the app suggests duplicate photos for deletion. Here we had a 100 percent success rate with finding the duplicates. In case of close matches, the app allows you to compare the images side by side.
If you have a large photo library that contains many similar images, using a comparison tool like PhotoSweeper for Mac will help you reduce the number of photos and hence regain disk space. The app comes at a cost, but its great interface and good integration with the OS and other apps fully justify it. You won't regret downloading this one.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of PhotoSweeper for Mac 1.9.4.
PhotoSweeper helps quickly and efficiently eliminate similar or duplicate photos. Photos are compared regardless of their sizes or formats and grouped by similarity. It works with photos from iPhoto, Aperture and Adobe Lightroom libraries as well as photos from your Mac. Whether you're a professional photographer, hobbyist, or just someone in need of more hard disk space, PhotoSweeper packs a powerful punch in de-cluttering any size collection.
What's new in this version:
- Support of DNG format images (Digital Negative by Adobe). DNG has been widely used by Lightroom, Photoshop and other Adobe products users for storing images.
- "Lock photos". Locked photos are used for comparison but can't be marked for removal.
- Search of photos in the app browser - the filter panel with up to 30 criteria. These include: item location, dates, file type, rating and colors, image characteristics and camera details.
- Other minor improvements See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Digitally repairs out of focus photos.
- Post production tool for photographers.
- Detect duplicates, thumbnails, thumbnails of faces, missing pho...
- Create logos that look like a Photoshop guru spent hours labori...
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps.
- Snagit gives you all the tools needed to create engaging images...
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Browse, view, tag and share images and galleries.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Display any folder as a shelf on your desktop.
- Filters and photo effects for unlimited creativity.
- View comic and manga images.
- Sync iPhoto libraries across computers (was iPhotoSync).
- Fast, easy way to remove objects and enhance your photos.
- Compress image files with any level of compression.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content