CNET Editors' review
The publisher's description of PhoXo says that it can be "treated as a mini Photoshop." This made us laugh, because the last time we checked, Photoshop didn't include an assortment of emoticons and other clip art. But we gave PhoXo a chance and found that we actually liked it quite a bit. It contains the basic image-editing tools that the non-professional user would expect, with a few fun (and goofy) extras that make it appropriate for younger users, too.
The program's interface is well organized and intuitive, with menus across the top and a toolbar down the left side. There are controls for brightness, contrast, and saturation, options to blur and sharpen, and a red-eye-reduction tool. A clone tool and an eraser let users perform basic image correction. Users can also add text, stamps, and clip art to images, and they can draw on images freehand using a pen or paintbrush tool. An effects menu includes options to distort images, add light-related effects, or transform the image into another artistic style. We liked it that PhoXo supports the use of layers; this makes it easy for users to experiment with the program's various features without making irreversible changes to their images. A surprisingly thorough online Help file provides detailed instructions for all of PhoXo's features and includes plenty of screenshots. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised by PhoXo; it's easy to use and has plenty of features, both useful and silly. It's a good choice for anyone who's just getting started with image editing or for more experienced users who don't require the advanced features of programs like Photoshop.
PhoXo installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly. We recommend this program to all users.
PhoXo is a free and powerful image editing software. It's tiny, fast, easy to use, can be treated as a mini PhotoShop. Its features include layers, undo, over 50 special effects, batch processing, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools for selecting, crop, painting, retouching, measuring and navigation. Especially, you can easily add text effects to image, such as shadow text, ripple text, gradient color text etc. PhoXo web site provides a large number of resources, including step by step tutorials, thousands of free clipart, frames, patterns, textures and shapes.
What's new in this version: Add iOS style UI to delete thumbnails, The new style settings dialog, Add digital signature, Add Romanian, Serbian languages, More background style of canvas, Fix a bug in saving image file.
More Products to Consider
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Refine your digital photos, draw artwork, or produce graphics f...
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Edit images and digital photos with high quality effects.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit images with layers, animation, icon editing, batch, stacki...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Draw and edit images in various formats.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your image files.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Enhance your digital photos in seconds.
- Get an open-source graphics application for digital painters.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Turn your photos into collage and make them into desktop wallpa...
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"3 1/2 stars. Good program but not for novices"
Version: PhoXo 8.1
It is free and works completely. Easy to download. Seems to have just about everything I hear photo shop has.
Not easy to figure out how to use. Editing layers is not simple and re-sizing images is difficult. You will invariably use the undo icon a lot. I still have not been able to set an image as a background for example and size other images to look appropriate over it.
Still a good program, newbies like myself have to work at it.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content