CNET Editors' review
With so many free PDF converters to choose from, AnvSoft's PDFMate PDF Converter stands out in a crowded field by offering a super-easy, wizard-based conversion process in an easy-to-use layout. PDFMate bundles six conversion tools in one interface: PDF to EPUB, Text, Image, HTML, SWF, and Word Converters, plus a tool for shrinking multipage PDF documents down to a single page. The latest release of PDFMate PDF Converter, Version 1.6.2, is suitable for Windows XP to 8.
PDFMate's immense, colorful, and clearly-labeled icons and buttons and step-by-step process make it a tool that nearly anyone can use. The program's layout explains the process, which starts with the Add PDF button. We added a test file, which appeared in a gridded list view in the main window. The program offers settings specific to each output file format, such as the ability to include or ignore images and create PDF passwords. PDFMate can process files individually or in batches, too: We simply had to select the files we wanted to process, choose the source or a custom directory, and then choose one of the seven output formats. We chose Doc, Word's output format, which can be a difficult format for some converters, in our experience. PDFMate offers several page merging options, too. We pressed Convert, but the tool produced a nag screen offering a paid upgrade, which we declined, and PDFMate proceeded to convert our file. We pressed Open to access the saved file, which opened normally in Word when we clicked it. The other conversion tools worked just as well, which wasn't surprising since the tool that handles Word docs well usually doesn't have too much trouble with text or HTML. But PDFMate also did a great job with EPUB files, which many eReader owners will doubtless appreciate.
PDFMate PDF Converter's nag screen is a bit annoying, but it doesn't compromise the program's functionality. The premium upgrade adds expanded page ranges and user support and removes the nag; but the free version will suit many users. Though many PDF converters offer ease of use, few are as seamless through each step as PDFMate PDF Converter.
PDFMate PDF Converter is a free but powerful 6-in-1 PDF tool: PDF to Text Converter + PDF to EPUB Converter + PDF to Image Converter + PDF to HTML Converter + PDF to SWF Converter + PDF to Word Converter. The bulit-in OCR technology enables you to convert scanned PDF documents to editable files. The free version has a 3-page limit. As Freeware, however, PDFMate PDF Converter helps convert PDF files to other formats fast, easlily, and exactly with the original quality. Download PDFMate right now, and make the PDF your own editable files. With PDFMate, you can not only convert PDF to editable files such as Text documents, HTML files, but also turn PDF to EPUB eBooks for reading and sharing on mobile devices, to SWF flash videos, or common image files. Further customization on PDF before conversion is also allowed. PDFMate PDF Converter is easy to use with simple and clear program interface. You can convert numurous files at one time. The conversion speed is fantastic and beyond imagination. However, it converts PDF accurately and the output files preserve high quality as the original. Once you have converted PDF to the formats of files you want, you can then read and edit PDF as Text file on Windows, UNIX, or Mac; read PDF eBook on iPad, iPhone, Sony Reader or other eBook Readers; extract or generate images; edit or publish PDFs on website as HTML files.
What's new in this version: 1. Built-in OCR technology enables you to convert scanned PDF to editable file (3-page limit);
2. Efficiency-priority and quality-priority recognition modes provided for OCR;
3. Automatically detect scanned PDFs;
4. Fix some minor bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Convert PDF documents to different file formats.
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- View AutoCAD DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings, save views to JPEG ima...
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Convert PDF to any other formats.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Merge and encrypt PDF files, convert BMP, JPG, PNG, TIF to PDF.
- Convert PDF documents to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- Convert PDF documents to DOC, RTF, HTML, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TI...
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Convert PDF files to MS Word, Excel and image.
- Batch convert PDF to image.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Convert PDF to Word, Excel, images, and Postscript with OCR fun...
- Batch convert PDF files to images.
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Convert PDF files into HTML format.
- Print, e-mail, and save your T-shirts designs all from your des...
- Convert PDF files into TXT format.
- Convert PDF to JPEG, TIFF, BMP, and PNG.
- Convert any PDF files to EPUB, Office formats, images or HTML w...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 19 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Fails conversion to Word"
Version: PDFMate PDF Converter 1.71
Converted the words, but not the order or the formatting
Completely failed to retain any formatting features. Font all over the place. It would be quicker to rekey the document than to try and remove the formatting errors.
Don't understand how anyone has rated this 5 stars - AFAICS, it's hopeless. Maybe it works for other formats, but for PDF to Word, waste of time. Will be uninstalling once I've submitted this.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content