PCalc is a high-powered scientific calculator that goes beyond the features found in the built-in Mac OS scientific calculator. Scientists, mathematicians, or just serious students will find quite a few bonus features comparable to those found in standalone programmable scientific calculators which PCalc's interface mimics--including quick one-key conversions, constants organized by field (from astronomical to physicochemical), an optional RPN mode that matches modern calculators, and decimal, hexadecimal, octal, and binary modes. You can also write your own functions and conversions, maintain multiple calculators (all with different states), and use PCalc's slightly lower-powered Dashboard widget for quick calculations. PCalc even comes with a virtual tape, so you can look through all your past calculations, and you can resize and skin your calculator with a variety of themes.
This shareware app is also available as a cheaper (and very similar) iPhone and iPad app, and the Mac version has been updated to add more of its features. If you regularly use a scientific calculator, you should definitely check out PCalc, on any platform.
PCalc is a fully featured scientific calculator for OS X with support for hexadecimal, octal and binary calculations, as well as an optional RPN mode, parentheses, programmable functions, and an extensive set of unit conversions.
- Switchable button layouts - choose from many different horizontal and vertical layouts to suit your needs. Includes all the layouts from the iPhone and iPad, as well as Mac-specific ones.
- Calculator themes - pick your look, all the way from minimalist to striking.
- An RPN mode with one button access to the stack, and optional multiple-line display.
- Editable user conversions, functions, and constants which are synced automatically across multiple devices.
- Hexadecimal, octal and binary modes, complete with a variety of bitwise operators.
- A simulated paper tape to keep track of your calculations with a "ticker tape" mode under the main display.
- Smart searching of conversions, functions, and constants. Just search for "$ to £" for example.
- Stylish, consistent user interface.
- Support for Retina displays.
- Full AppleScript support.
- Multiple undo and redo.
- Modern 64-bit Cocoa application.
What's new in this version:
- User functions and conversions can now access the RPN stack, use bitwise operators, and get and set values on the clipboard.
- Added support for hex, octal, and binary user functions and constants.
- Added "Rol n" and "Ror n" buttons for rotating by an arbitrary number of bits.
- Added an option to stop the buttons from taking clicks when in the background, so clicking on the calculator window to switch to it won't accidentally trigger commands.
- Added an... See all new features »