CNET Editors' review
OmniDiskSweeper for Mac comes in a powerful little package and makes the cumbersome job of searching for large and unused files fast and easy. The application performs as intended and offers a rock-solid solution for anyone needing more free space on their Mac.
After an easy installation, OmniDiskSweeper for Mac presented us with a list of hard drives attached to our test machine, and we selected the internal 500GB drive. A new window appeared that populated with a list of folders and files, with their respective sizes listed right next to the name. The full sweep completed in under five minutes. The largest folders top the list with sizes color-coded: gigabytes in purple, megabytes in dark blue, and kilobytes in green. From there it was easy to drill down into each folder, zeroing in on the largest and most useless of files. In another five minutes we had freed up over 45GB of space. Remnant DMG files in our Downloads folder automatically saved, but unneeded Mail attachments, and old documents all unwittingly took up space. We were also able to identify another 25GB of files and folders that will need further scrutiny before we delete them for good.
OmniDiskSweeper for Mac significantly speeds up the process of digging through your hard drive and looking for unused and large files. This application is highly recommend for any Mac user, even for those who haven't yet approached the danger zone of limited free space.
From The Omni Group:
OmniDiskSweeper is a great tool for making space on Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server and Mac OS 9 disks. When you start OmniDiskSweeper, it presents you with a list of disks attached to your machine. You double-click on one, and a new window opens with a browser listing every file and directory on that disk, sorted by size. This is very fast for HFS+ partitions: it takes about seven seconds to process one gigabyte. UFS partitions are significantly slower. Then you browse through the files and directories, and delete the large ones that you aren't using any more. The free space on the disk and the ordering of the directories are automatically recalculated. If you aren't sure what's in a file, you can double-click it or drag it onto an app on it to open it. It's that simple.
More Products to Consider
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Screen capture utility.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- RAR archive manager.
- Graphically displays disk usage.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Full-featured native web browser.
- Visual screen effects for your presentation and desktop.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Personal task management.
- Simple way to quickly manage tasks and resource usage on your M...
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Access hidden preferences settings.
- One-button toggle to show or hide invisible files in the Finder...
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 49 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Free & got the job done! FAST!"
Version: OmniDiskSweeper 1.9
Quick and easy download & installation. Found what took up my space in 2 minutes. Deleted them on request in the app. DONE. No more problem.
All the bad reviews it's had since 2011 & 2012
This most be a new updated and free version because all the past reviews don't seem to relate at all to my current and up to date experience. Enjoy!