CNET Editors' review
OmniDiskSweeper for Mac comes in a powerful little package and makes the cumbersome job of searching for large and unused files fast and easy. The application performs as intended and offers a rock-solid solution for anyone needing more free space on their Mac.
After an easy installation, OmniDiskSweeper for Mac presented us with a list of hard drives attached to our test machine, and we selected the internal 500GB drive. A new window appeared that populated with a list of folders and files, with their respective sizes listed right next to the name. The full sweep completed in under five minutes. The largest folders top the list with sizes color-coded: gigabytes in purple, megabytes in dark blue, and kilobytes in green. From there it was easy to drill down into each folder, zeroing in on the largest and most useless of files. In another five minutes we had freed up over 45GB of space. Remnant DMG files in our Downloads folder automatically saved, but unneeded Mail attachments, and old documents all unwittingly took up space. We were also able to identify another 25GB of files and folders that will need further scrutiny before we delete them for good.
OmniDiskSweeper for Mac significantly speeds up the process of digging through your hard drive and looking for unused and large files. This application is highly recommend for any Mac user, even for those who haven't yet approached the danger zone of limited free space.
From The Omni Group:
OmniDiskSweeper is a great tool for making space on Mac OS X, Mac OS X Server and Mac OS 9 disks. When you start OmniDiskSweeper, it presents you with a list of disks attached to your machine. You double-click on one, and a new window opens with a browser listing every file and directory on that disk, sorted by size. This is very fast for HFS+ partitions: it takes about seven seconds to process one gigabyte. UFS partitions are significantly slower. Then you browse through the files and directories, and delete the large ones that you aren't using any more. The free space on the disk and the ordering of the directories are automatically recalculated. If you aren't sure what's in a file, you can double-click it or drag it onto an app on it to open it. It's that simple.
More Products to Consider
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- File sharing app that makes it simple to manage, protect and sh...
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- RAR archive manager.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Graphically displays disk usage.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- One-button toggle to show or hide invisible files in the Finder...
- Optimize your Mac, fix slow performance, fix app errors.
- Recover data from crashed, non-mounting, reformatted hard drive...
- Disk Speed Test is an easy to use tool to quickly measure and c...
- Monitor your computer, from memory usage to Bluetooth status.
- Perform defragmentation and optimization of your disk.
- Remove useless files from your Mac's Preferences folder.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 49 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Free & got the job done! FAST!"
Version: OmniDiskSweeper 1.9
Quick and easy download & installation. Found what took up my space in 2 minutes. Deleted them on request in the app. DONE. No more problem.
All the bad reviews it's had since 2011 & 2012
This most be a new updated and free version because all the past reviews don't seem to relate at all to my current and up to date experience. Enjoy!