CNET Editors' review
Notepad2's developer, Flo's Freeware, notes that there's nothing wrong with Notepad, the default text editor in Windows: it's lightweight, fast, and fully integrated with the operating system. But writers, programmers, and others who use text files a lot know that Notepad has its limitations. Notepad2 offers many more features than Notepad and can replace it as the default text file tool in Windows. It's available in separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. We tried it in 64-bit Windows Home Premium SP1.
Notepad2's installer asked us if we wanted to replace Notepad as the default text editor in Windows, though it says you can uninstall Notepad2 from the Control Panel to restore Notepad as the default text editor. We opened a new text document from Explorer. The document opened inside Notepad2 and worked like any text file. Notepad2's toolbar offered not only basic controls like Open, Browse, and Save but also useful text tools such as Word Wrap and Zoom In and Out.
Notepad's View menu has one entry, Status bar. Notepad2's has 17 entries, including Default Font, Show Whitespace, Long Line Markers, Highlight Current Line, and Selection Margin. The Settings menu has more than 20 entries ranging from Transparency to Esc Key Function.
If all you use Notepad for is grocery lists and passwords, you probably don't need Notepad2; the Microsoft tool is enough. But if you use Notepad for lots of things, you'll probably like Notepad2's many improvements. And if you need a more capable text-editing tool than the built-in Windows Notepad, we definitely recommend Notepad2.
From Flo's Freeware:
The original Notepad shipped with Windows is probably the handiest program of all times: small, fast, and without frills. Notepad2 tries to follow this principle - it's a small, fast, and free text editor with syntax highlighting for HTML and other common languages.
More Products to Consider
- Replace the standard Windows Notepad with an advanced tool and ...
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Edit and modify files in plain-text format.
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Talk to all your friends with a single application.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Allow you to create a binary file.
- Optimize and tune up your system performance and clean your Reg...
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- View and manage processes running on your system.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"It does exactly what it's supposed to do and more."
Version: Notepad2 (64-bit) 4.2.25
It's a more robust and dynamic notepad. I can go in and edit any xml, html, or ini without having to open any editor, and I like that it takes over regular notepad without having to re-work anything.
Takes a little getting used to at first, but that's about the worst of it (just because it's different).
It is exactly what notepad should have been from the start. Why didn't Microsoft think of this years ago?
"Easy to use."
Version: Notepad2 (64-bit) 4.2.25
It works with Windows 8!
None so far.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content