CNET Editors' review
Even the best-protected computer can contract a virus, but it goes without saying that an unprotected computer is far more vulnerable. Many users only see the light after spending long hours in the dark, trying to cure an infected PC. Many tools can remove viruses and other malware from your PC, but it's not uncommon for one or two bugs to resist eradication. Reboot, and they're back. Symantec's Norton Power Eraser is a free tool that targets stubborn files and forcibly removes them. Because it cleans aggressively, it can delete critical system files, so it must be used with care; expert guidance is recommended.
Norton Power Eraser has a super-simple interface featuring three large buttons: Scan, History, and Settings. The Settings include an optional Rootkit scan, Multi-Boot Check, and Log Settings; History accessed the Log to review previous jobs. Experts will find this information critical to diagnosing what went wrong. We started a scan, including the Rootkit scan, so Norton Power Eraser rebooted our system, and then scanned it. It found two suspicious items, startup items left over from uninstalled apps. One was flagged as Bad. It wasn't a major threat, but there was no reason not to remove it, so out it went, and the other item, too. Norton Power Eraser recommends letting it create a System Restore Point before cleaning your system: we agree. When all was ready, we pressed Fix. Removing the startup items required another reboot. When our system restarted, Norton Power Eraser reported the job's results in the Log.
Many computer viruses can be removed without doing lasting harm to your system. We recommend trying some less aggressive tools before turning to Norton Power Eraser, though experienced users will find it can launch precision strikes against clear targets. But chances are good that you've already exhausted every other remedy by the time you turn to Norton Power Eraser, and you may be less worried about collateral damage. Don't let frustration make you reckless: pay attention, check stuff out, go slow, and double-check. You'll be fine, assuming your problem is one Norton Power Eraser can rub out.
Norton Power Eraser target and eliminate virus that regular virus scan can't detect. Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect these threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully, and only after you have exhausted other options.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Clean infected computers with a collection of repair tools.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Detect and remove rootkit malware on your PC.
- Surround yourself with protection from viruses, spyware, fraudu...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your system from different virus attacks.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
- Scan for spyware and remove it from your computer.
- Generate object pascal and C++ code to access the WMI.
- Delete and format data stored on your computer without erasing ...
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 25 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"It's a Joke"
Version: Norton Power Eraser 126.96.36.199
None that I can find
Flags benign programs as possible malware
Left a win32:Backdoor.Comet Trojan on my machine undetected (Along with several other nasties)But you know what it did find?..Bit torrent, thats right..It flagged Bittorrent as cloud confimed malware with recommendation to remove. Please, people..Stay away from Norton, do not buy their Snake Oil.
"It did not fix the problem with my computer."
Version: Norton Power Eraser 188.8.131.52
The program is free and easy.
It did not fix the problem with my computer.
It is worth a try but don't hold your breath.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content