CNET Editors' review
NewView Graphics' File Viewer is a basic image viewer and photo editor that allows users to make simple changes to their images. Although the program works fine, there are definitely more sophisticated options for doing this sort of work.
The program's interface is dated and plain, and it's not immediately clear how to get started. The fact that we couldn't actually open a file using the File menu threw us a little bit. It turns out that users must navigate to their desired location from the Directory pane within the program; a separate pane displays the contents of each folder, and clicking on a file opens it. The program offers basic photo-editing functions, including the ability to rotate, crop, and flip images and adjust their color and brightness. The program also includes a very basic and do-it-yourself way of correcting red eye. We appreciated the fact that the program let us covert images between 10 different file types, including JPEG, GIF, and PNG. The program's slideshow feature couldn't seem to make up its mind about how long each image should be displayed, which resulted in a strangely arrhythmic display. Overall, the program wasn't bad, but we've seen similar programs that were sleeker and more intuitive.
NewView Graphics' File Viewer is free. It comes as a ZIP file but installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program with reservations; it's not particularly intuitive or powerful, but it will do in a pinch.
From NewView Graphics:
Browse your system and display, print, and manage images in a wide variety of formats. File conversion, screen capture, color reduction, slideshow, and animations. Insert or update comments which are written into your image files and display when you view each image. Windows', OS/2, and OS/2 2.x bitmaps (.BMP, .DIB, .RLE), GIF, animated GIF, IFF, JBIG (.JBG), JPEG, JPEG 2000 (.JP2, .J2K), LBM, Portable Bitmap (.PBM, .PGM, .PNM, .PGM), PCX, PNG, RAS, SUN, TIFF (.TIF), Targa (.TGA), Windows' metafiles (.WMF, .EMF), Windows' icons and cursors (.ICO, .CUR, .ANI). Animated GIF images and animated cursors are automatically displayed in animation. Limited multimedia file capabilities are also provided. Rotate your JPEG images without degrading their quality with easy to use lossless JPEG transforms. Image tools such as crop, stretch, copy, paste, brightness, and merge images included.
What's new in this version: Version 8.0:
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Resize and copy information of your photos.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Lock, hide, encrypt, backup, password-protect your files, folde...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- Convert YouTube videos to MP3, extract audio from single videos...
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Group and batch rename photo and video files.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 11 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Great program. Better than I expected."
Version: NewView Graphics' File Viewer 8.0
Handles some odd formats that others don't have. Install went perfect for me on Windows 7. Slide show worked great for me and at consistence intervals.
I would definitely recommend this program.