CNET Editors' review
Blip Interactive's NanoStudio is the best desktop recording studio for Windows we've experienced, and not just because it's free (though that helps) or because it also comes in Mac, iOS, and Android versions (though that's cool) or even because it's got one of the most attractive yet useful interfaces we've seen. It's all that and more. NanoStudio exports to MIDI devices, SoundCloud, and DAWs. It has tons of studio tools, like Eden Synth, TRG-16, equalizers, mic in, real-time quantization, and built-in sampling, sequencing, mastering, and more. NanoStudio is freeware for Windows XP through 8. The Mac version is also free, but the iOS and Android apps aren't. We tried it on 64-bit Windows 7.
NanoStudio's main screen features a scrolling, full-size keyboard and twin XY pads with a pitch wheel surrounded by essential controls. But that's just the start: Up and down arrows scroll through an impressive series of panels, including a double keyboard, a rack full of consoles for controlling filter and amp envelopes, processors like 5th Planet Waveshaper and Chronos Digital Delay, and more. Mixing panels, color-coded displays, and sophisticated Project tools seem to be just around every corner. Although NanoStudio's layout is highly functional and intuitive, it's unquestionably one of the best-looking tools we've ever seen. We were particularly impressed with the way its control panels closely resemble the faceplates and controls of actual studio gear. NanoStudio sounded fantastic, too; both through our MIDI device and through regular computer audio. Our initial Project included some guitar synth and basic effects; nothing much, but the not-so-secret truth came out: NanoStudio is huge fun to play with.
NanoStudio has plenty of built-in Help resources, as is, but we suggest visiting the program's Web site and downloading the 67-page, full-color PDF manual, which applies to Win, Mac, and app versions. Aside from a few desktop-only or app-only features, NanoStudio is identical in each. It's hard to overstate the value of being able to use the same tool everywhere. Our only remaining question about NanoStudio is how it does so much for free.
From Blip Interactive:
Record your ideas in real time, mix synth layers with samples, compose and arrange your tune using the powerful sequencer and bring the mix alive with effects such as reverb, compression and EQ. Share your tune on SoundCloud from wherever you are or use the comprehensive audio mixdown options and MIDI export feature to get your ideas over to your desktop DAW when you get back home.
The program features an intuitive interface that allows you to unleash your creativity and use the tools with minimum effort.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Audio plugins based manipulating formants.
- Help audience follow your presentation drawing on top of any pr...
- Create your own music and supply it with studio effects.
- Bring High Definition sound to YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Pandor...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Create and edit music in a recording and mixing environment for...
- Change your voice and add sound effects to games and voice chat...
- Excite frequencies and increase sound clarity.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Awesome mini music studio!"
Version: NanoStudio 1.41
Easy to use one you watch the Youtube tutorial from BitBurner. Easily play and edit MIDI files with great sounding synths and drum machine. Been looking for a program like this for years! Seems easy to make or add your own sounds to expand your preset library.
Can't find much to complain about, other than having to use the Sliders to move tracks - the secret of the whole program.
Haven't used for sampling as yet. Doesn't look very difficult though.
Makes great drum tracks as demoed.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content