CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will download a small installer file to your desktop. Remain online and double-click the installer to proceed with the actual download.
CNET Editors' review
There are so many great Web browsers available today that the superpower struggle between IE and Netscape sometimes seems as distant as the Cold War between the U.S. and U.S.S.R. We recently became acquainted with Maxthon, a free browser that offers some unique advantages, such as its Dual Display Modes, Ultra and Retro. Maxthon automatically switches between Ultra Mode, which uses WebKit to render up-to-date sites, and Retro mode, which uses a legacy engine for older sites built with earlier tools. It also offers safe browsing; toolbar apps like notekeeping, translations, feeds, and screen capture; mouse gestures; smart drag-and-drop; autofill; multisearch; and ad and pop-up blockers.
Maxthon installed very quickly, a good start. Its tabbed interface, customizable toolbars, integrated search field, and Favorites menu give Maxthon a familiar feel that we quickly enhanced by importing our bookmarks, something Maxthon can do from IE or any HTML-based browser bookmark file. Like all contenders in the increasingly crowded browser field, Maxthon's look and features can be customized to suit your needs and moods. The highlighted Safe icon indicated we were visiting a validated Web site; clicking it opened information about the site. The Ad Hunter feature worked quite well, blocking ad pop-ups on the most annoying sites we visit without blocking content we wanted to see; in any case, it's easy to toggle on and off via an icon on the bottom right. There's even a mute button built into the lower frame to quickly silence noisy sites. In fact, Maxthon offers a full complement of features and options, and everything we tried worked well.
Now, on to the dual-mode browsing. It's, in a word, cool. To our knowledge, this is a unique capability that worked very well. A small square on the address bar changes from a yellow lightning bolt to a blue graph icon to indicate which rendering engine is in use. Browsing to a Web site rendered with WebKit tended to make the difference obvious, with crisp graphics that loaded with lightning speed. We could switch manually between Ultra and Retro Mode, too, for Web sites that didn't render perfectly in WebKit. Try it for yourself and see what makes Maxthon different before the others catch up.
From Maxthon International:
With Maxthon, navigate WebPages and browse the Web as you like. It features sync and see favorites anywhere, mouse gesture, ad hunter, magic fill, and Maxthon multi search. Block annoying advertisements and pop ups before they strike. The Ad Hunter is faster and more powerful than anything in its class. Securely save, review and manage all of your website usernames and passwords on one screen. Magic Fill will also pre-fill your username and passwords for your favorite websites. Compare search term results across Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Customize Multi Search by adding additional search engines yourself.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.2060 adds features such as Maxthon Skin, New Settings, search bar in Settings supporting searching keywords for each feature, and Local Transfer in Cloud Push.
More Products to Consider
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Surf the Web with multi-processing browser with AutoFills, onli...
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Provide a versatile technology browser with high level of secur...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Find and download images, videos, clip art, and stock photos fr...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Get the most out of social networking and the Web.
- Surf the Internet via browser with various features.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- Navigate the Web with multi-processing tri-core browser with au...
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Download entire Web-sites to your computer.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Grab, share, and organize video, pictures, and files from any W...
- Download videos from various video sites easily.
- Use browser uniting rendering engines from Mozilla Firefox, Goo...
- Download, browse, and edit your favorite Web sites offline.
- Download video from YouTube, Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok and other...
- Implement download manager and image viewer inside Internet Exp...
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Backup your Flock profile quickly and easily.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 76 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content