CNET Editors' reviewThis Breakout clone does little to enhance the gameplay of the classic, making it difficult for us to recommend. The installation flies by and the game launches on your desktop in a matter of seconds. However, once you start playing ManiacBall, you quickly realize that the installation is the only thing that goes fast. There are no special features in the game--no common extras such as penetrating balls or fireballs, paddle extenders or shorteners, or any other bonuses we could find. The only difference between ManiacBall and its many competitors is the existence of two paddles. You simultaneously need to control one that moves horizontally and one that moves vertically. The rules are the same as classic Breakout, but the ball moves so slowly that it takes all your patience to wait until it finally hits a block or your paddle. Due to this major drawback the game becomes boring and extremely long, which in no way enhances or develops on the all-time classic. If you're a fan of Breakout or a game fan in general, you might download this to try the dual-paddle feature, but you'll quickly exit the program in search of a faster and more exciting breakout game.
From Diamond Productions:
ManiacBall is a game in the tradition of Breakout and Arkanoid, wherein you have to hit bricks with a ball. You can use a paddle to control the ball and keep it inside the playfield area. The unregistered version contains 15 levels, and many more levels and the easy-to-use level editor are available after registering.
What's new in this version: Version 1.17 fixes problem with write access to ManiacBall-directory.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Destroy all the bricks in each level to proceed to the next lev...
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Destroy the blocks, level yourself and expand your character.
- Play 475 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Jump to revisit this timeless classic.
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Build most legendary city of all times from scratch.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Play a new version of the famous explosive Breaker game.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"the download-com review sucks"
Version: ManiacBall 1.16
there are a lot of extras in this game, not only larger paddles but double ball, extra life, level warp, laser guns and much more. did you really review this game and not find the extras? how lame...
"great Arkanoid clone"
Version: ManiacBall 1.16
new ideas but close to the original and with excellent gameplay
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: