CNET Editors' note: Beta or prerelease software is not intended for inexperienced users, as the software may contain bugs or potentially damage your system. We strongly recommend that users exercise caution and save all mission-critical data before installing and/or using this software.
CNET Editors' review
Looking for the most sophisticated terminal software with Unix-like options to access your Mac's system? MacTerm for Mac is a very powerful application, with tons of features, customization options, and a basic interface.
MacTerm for Mac is a free application that is currently in beta. This application doesn't have a native installer, but nevertheless it downloaded and installed quickly. If you are used to Apple's OS X Terminal application, after initiating the program you will be greeted with a very familiar interface, only with new icons and features on the toolbar. The application is basically a more advanced Apple OS X Terminal with extra features like Growl integration, shortcuts, advanced search, etc. The level of customization this application offers is pretty amazing and will be welcomed by advanced users. One of our favorite features is the Macro function that allows you to run complex tasks by just pressing a few key combinations. Although the application is still in beta, it runs surprisingly well and with no hiccups. However, the application is still not optimized for the new Retina Display, so the text and icons will be a little blurry for Retina users.
With plenty of features to offer, MacTerm for Mac seems to be a very powerful terminal application. This application is suitable for users who use their Terminal app very often, such as developers, programmers, administrators, and gamers.
From Kevin Grant:
Formerly named MacTelnet, but not just a telnet client anymore. A powerful replacement for the Mac OS X Terminal. When MacTerm first runs, it now sets user default preferences from a file in its application bundle. You can simplify support if you customize settings prior to deployment. For example, a university could change the "factory default" session host to a campus login server, so that students don't have to be instructed on how to set this up themselves.MacTerm now makes full use of the Mac OS X preferences model; the command-line defaults tool is able to access all settings, so massive changes can be automated. Every possible setting is documented in MacTerm Help. There is also a small and evolving Python API that provides unprecedented access to the internals of the program.MacTerm now makes full use of the Mac OS X preferences model; the command-line defaults tool is able to access all settings, so massive changes can be automated. Every possible setting is documented in MacTerm Help. There is also a small and evolving Python API that provides unprecedented access to the internals of the program. MacTerm is now a complete terminal for local commands or remote access, and is an excellent tool for administrators to use. It has extremely rare features, such as dynamic search. It even has Unix-like options for those who prefer, for instance, focus-follows-mouse and copy-on-select kinds of behaviors. Connecting to campus is easy. MacTerm provides simpler access to the Mac's own tools for telnet, secure shell (SSH), and FTP. Bonjour is supported, for finding local servers And newer technologies such as IPv6 also work. MacTerm can run any Unix program on your local Mac, and also properly render what it sees from remote programs. Whether you have to read E-mail with pine (or even print!), do text editing with vim or emacs, or browse the web with lynx, MacTerm is the only tool you need. It can even be configured to display special characters (using Unicode UTF-8 by default). Note that MacTerm must be configured as a VT102 terminal to allow printing.
What's new in this version: Minor animation optimizations.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Connect to serial-port devices with a terminal emulation progra...
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Upgrade the full version of Terminal Velocity to 1.01a.
- Emulate Wyse, Viewpoint, DEC terminals.
- Instant Messenger for Office LAN, Subnet, VPN, WAN, and Wi-Fi n...
- Royal TSX provides easy and secure access to your remote system...
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Terminal emulator with hotkeys, split views, and fullscreen sup...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Run Unix shell commands when terminal use is not required with ...
- Data recovery software.
- Communicate with hardware connected to serial ports via termina...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Unlock over 1200 hidden features in Mac OS X and other apps.
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Interface to control many features of iTunes from the terminal.
- Get connected to remote BBS systems.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content