CNET Editors' review
MacOSaiX for Mac is a photo mosaic construction and sharing app for Mac OS X. It is available from several download sites and installs quickly.
Photo mosaics are composed of hundreds or thousands of small images, all combined to create a larger image when viewed from a distance. By choosing the right colors and brightness of each individual image, the larger image becomes easier to see. MacOSaiX for Mac can take a set of individual images located on your machine or discoverable through Web sites and combine them into shapes that can then be saved and shared. MacOSaiX for Mac can interface with common social media sites for images, such as Flickr, and it can also read images from iTunes (album art, for example). Images from movies can also be captured and used by MacOSaiX for Mac. The MacOSaiX for Mac interface is easy to work with, and as long as you can find suitable images you can be producing mosaics in a matter of minutes.
Photo mosaics are popular, so software like MacOSaiX for Mac is readily available for many platforms. MacOSaiX for Mac provides a good mix of image mosaicking capabilities along with easier access to sources such as Google Image and Flickr. We enjoyed using MacOSaiX for Mac.MacOSaix - Create stunning mosaics from images - Download Video Previews:
From Frank Midgley:
MacOSaiX lets you create a mosaic representation of an image from hundreds or thousands of individual images. The individual images can be found on local disks, created randomly from fonts, found by keyword through Google's or flickr's image database, pulled from iPhoto or pulled from QuickTime movies. You can also choose rectangles, hexagons or puzzle pieces as the shapes of the tiles in the mosaic. MacOSaiX will automatically determine the best location in the mosaic for each image. When you are done you can save the mosaic as a JPG, PNG or TIFF for printing or save it as an interactive web page.
What's new in this version:
- Added an iTunes album artwork image source.
- Added a Delicious Library image source.
- flickr image sources can now search using flickr groups.
- Google image sources can now search for news or face images.
- Google image sources can now search the database of LIFE images.
- Support for transparency:
- in original images
- in images placed in tiles
- in images created by the Glyphs image source
- when saving a ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- Create logos that look like a Photoshop guru spent hours labori...
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures locally or online.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Image browsing and editing for both still images and movies.
- Create big posters with small printers.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Browse, view, tag and share images and galleries.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Photo-mosaic builder.
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- RAW converter for digital cameras.
- Creates morphing transitions between images.
- Photo collage maker, create a variety of shapes.
- View comic and manga images.
- Sync iPhoto libraries across computers (was iPhotoSync).
- Free photo retouching based on non destructive layers and filte...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 14 votes
Current version:3.3 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"It doesn't work. The program keeps shutting down."
Version: MacOSaiX 2.1
Download was easy.
But it didn't work!
Just doesn't work. I wish to say something nice but I can't see a result to post anything positive. It just keep shutting down. Never a finished picture. I changed the setting. I restarted the computer. Don't know what else I need to do.
"Exactly what I was looking for"
Version: MacOSaiX 2.1
Does exactly what you want, makes a picture using many pictures.
Takes a LONG TIME... depending on how many frames you want/need.
Although it takes a while to be put together, I can't complain! Low cost and does exactly what I want.
"Easily achieve surprising results"
Version: MacOSaiX 2.1
Rendering the mosaic takes time -- depending on the number of image sources and speed of your CPU
A one-trick pony with a really neat trick. I used it to create a corporate promotional piece, building a mosaic of the company logo with puzzle-shaped tiles using a source directory of 346 pictures. The program selects and places each image to best match a spot in the resulting mosaic, then continues to optimize placement, shifting images for the best result. A test with current version: 25 minutes to render a mosaic, selecting from a folder of 2696 images to fill 1280 tiles. Very cool!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: