CNET Editors' review
MacGourmet Deluxe can help you collect, edit, use, and share your favorite recipes and recipe-related notes in an easy, intuitive, iTunes-style interface, which is much improved over previous versions. This Deluxe version includes all three optional plug-ins for MacGourmet: the Mealplan (to help schedule meals and sync up with iCal), Cookbook (for creating and sharing PDF cookbooks), and built-in nutritional data from the USDA database (which makes it easy to calculate nutritional info for entire recipes). The main recipe interface is highly customizable and includes a large, easy-to-read "Chef View" for laptop-assisted cooking, which you can control with speech recognition or an Apple Remote. MacGourmet's recipe import assistant and integration with Safari makes importing recipes from the Web almost effortless (especially for the app's supported list of over 40 popular recipe sites).
MacGourmet also makes it easy to compile cooking notes and shopping lists (for easy printing or export), along with a shopping list history. Tools for taking notes on wine help you keep track of personal ratings, bottle labels, and "cellar info" (such as date opened and maturation date), and recent updates also help out aspiring food bloggers with support for MacJournal. Overall, MacGourmet is one of the best applications of its kind on the Mac--and though slightly pricey, the Deluxe version offers a good value given the cost of the optional plug-ins.
From Mariner Software:
Easily create, build, and share your recipe collection. Make notes about your favorite wines; plan meals for a day or a week and then sync to iCal. Get the nutritional values of foods, recipes and individual servings by accessing the USDA database included in MacGourmet. Print out shopping lists or export them to your PDA. Find recipes online and add them to your collection using MacGourmet's intuitive features. Publish recipes to your blog or .mac account. Even use your family recipes to create a high-res PDF or your own professional-looking, bound cookbook.
What's new in this version: 10.8 support
More Products to Consider
- Recipe, wine note & cooking note organizer.
- Print labels, greeting cards, posters, calendars...
- GarageBand 11 turns the Mac into a complete recording studio an...
- Ebook reader & converter for Mac, iPhone & Kindle.
- Recipe management meets browser.
- Electronic recipe book for chefs of all skill levels.
- Manage, update, personalize your TomTom GPS.
- Make CD labels, covers, jewel case and DVD case inserts, and so...
- Cook, from start to finish.
- Synchronized shopping list & pantry inventory manager.
- Design/print avery labels, business cards, dividers, t-shirt tr...
- BBC Model B emulator.
- Use this FileMaker layout to get new recipes and add some of yo...
- For Sony Ericsson mobile phones.
- Create digital copies of all your favorite recipes and share th...
- Stop motion animation & time-lapse.
- Recipe management: write shopping lists, scale recipes.
- Writer's studio: outline, edit, storyboard, write.
- Manage items in your recipe database.
- Prayer times: salaat/namaz, athan (azan) & qibla direction.
- Reading, spelling & pronunciation tutor for English.
- Store all your recipes.
- Control how you wake up in the morning with this alarm clock so...
- Organize your recipes and your grocery shopping.
All versions:2.9 stars
out of 13 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Very Satisfied with this App!"
Version: MacGourmet Deluxe 3.2.6
Recipe import from websites, Cupboard find feature, Nutrition calculator, Recipe scaling, Ability to store multiple photos per recipe, Wine Notes, Searching and Smart lists, Meal planning, Shopping lists, iPad and iPhone apps
Syncing (buggy if not hard wired), Shopping list feature doesn't always group same ingredient in multiple recipes, Notes feature is pretty basic
I have used this application for a couple years and have thoroughly enjoyed and recommended it to several friends. I love the ease of adding recipes to my library as I bump into them online. Preparing menus for holidays and dinner parties is so much easier than it used to be. I like having my recipes sync'd to my iPhone. More than once I've looked up a recipe at the grocery store to determine exact ingredients.
I read the bad ratings previously reported and have to believe those accounts are due to much earlier revs. of the application. I have used tech support 3 or 4 times and found Michael to be very responsive; he's solved my problem each time. I don't use the cookbook feature. So, I can't speak to that but do take advantage of all the other features. For the longest time, we had family recipes that we enjoyed but didn't REALLY know how nutritional they were. I like the editable embedded nutritional data base as it allows us to make smarter choices about meal preparation.
I also really like that the application "behaves" very much like typical Apple software. Many of the "Apple conveniences" exist in this design as well. I think this is a terrific application!