CNET Editors' review
Cryptographic hash functions are commonly used to guard against malicious changes to protected data in a wide variety of software, Internet, and security applications, including digital signatures and other forms of authentication. Two of the most common cryptographic hash functions are the Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) and Message Digest Algorithm-5 (MD5). Checksum utilities are used to verify the integrity of generated hashes. There are two basic types, those that calculate checksum values and those that also validate them by checking them against a list of values for the protected data, which is the only way it can be done. Raymond Lin's MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility is a standalone freeware tool that generates and verifies cryptographic hashes in MD5 and SHA-1.
The program has a basic, utterly functional interface that should pose no trouble for anyone with the knowledge and skill to actually need it. To generate or verify a hash, you simply browse to the file of choice, select either MD5 or SHA-1, and click either Copy to generate the hash or Verify to check its integrity. A Paste function automatically enters the generated hash for verification at the click of a button.
MD5 & SHA-1 Checksum Utility is free to download and use, though Ray accepts donations from satisfied users. At a mere 57k, his checksum tool is about as small as a useful, functioning utility can be in this age of bloatware, and even more so considering that it's certified to work in Windows Vista and 7.
MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility is a standalone freeware that can generate MD5, SHA-1 & SHA-256 hash from a file. In addition, you can verify the hash to ensure the file integrity is correct with the matching file.
What's new in this version:
Version 2.0 includes:
- Included SHA-256 hash
- Included checkbox as an option to choose which hash to compute
- Included progress bar for indication
- Minor user interface update
- Rename MD5 & SHA1 Checksum Utility to MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Compute the SHA-1 hash checksum of any file.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Compute message digests, checksums and HMACs for files, and tex...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Calculate MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512 or CRC-32 hashe...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Verify MD5 checksum download codes.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Show information about blue screen crashes occurred in your sys...
- Encrypt your sensitive data with this open-source software.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Show the size of each folder on your disk, including sub folder...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Clone disks and create, burn, and back up disk images.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Provide STL file export plug-in for Bricscad.
All versions:4.4 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1