CNET Editors' review
Blink and you'll miss it. This free program adds an extra level of security to your computer through your Webcam, associating your face with your username and password so you can start using your computer after a few seconds of looking at your Webcam.
When you install the program, it will offer to run a wizard to help you set it up. The wizard will autodetect your Webcam, and give you a choice if you have more than one. After giving you a screen to click through, which serves to give you more of a chance to compose yourself for the scan, the program takes about 10 seconds to add your image to its database. The publisher Luxand, known for its facial-recognition algorithms, claims that the program is powerful enough to see through minor adjustments to your visage, including eyeglasses, facial hair changes, and even sunglasses. During tests with printed color photos of the reviewer's face, the program wasn't fooled. Blink was, however, able to see through sunglasses in less than 3 seconds, the same amount of time it took to log in an unaltered version of a registered face.
Blink is not the only program that adds an extra level of security to your computer through your Webcam, but it is one of the only free ones. It supports multiple users, creates a log of those who try to access the computer, offers a "learning" convenience setting and a high security setting, and the run at start-up option can be toggled off.
It has one major drawback: it only works on 32-bit computers. Considering that more and more new computers are coming out with Windows 7 x64, the lack of 64-bit support could be fatal sooner rather than later. However, for right now that's a problem that most Windows users probably won't notice. The program also doesn't allow your face to replace Web site log-ins, a logical extension of what it does. Simple in function, Blink is a must-try for its novelty, but you might just wind up keeping it for its effectiveness.
From Luxand Development:
With Luxand Blink login to your PC without touching a thing. Luxand Blink is a free tool to let you log in to your Windows account by simply looking into a webcam - no passwords to type and no fingers to scan. The innovative face recognition technology developed by Luxand recognizes users' faces quickly and reliably, and is able to match the user with an associated account even with different haircuts, beards or mustaches grown or shaved off while completely eliminating false positives. It helps secure workstations in the office, too. No longer will employees have to use yellow stickers to remember their passwords. Face login will complement your corporate security policy just perfectly, providing the benefit of few false negatives and nearly impossible false positive recognitions.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Get a COM component to encrypt your passwords.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Monitor and log every login attempt, and password-protect your ...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Manage all your forms and passwords, and encrypt your log-in in...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Encrypt passwords, PINs, and card numbers.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Operate your Internet usernames and passwords from a single sec...
- Protect your computer from unauthorized user entries with this ...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Secure your login and password information.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Protect your ASP pages.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Save and protect all your access data with AES 256-bit encrypti...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Add live video to your Web site.
- Monitor what your family or staff does on your computer.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 58 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content