CNET Editors' review
CAD tools tend to be large, big-ticket packages that often pack stiff license fees. Open-source software increasingly rivals expensive applications. Imagine a cross between a full-featured graphics tool and top-drawer CAD package, optimized for designing electronic circuits and nanodevices, and that undergoes constant improvement and enhancement: that's LayoutEditor. It's a powerful suite of tools for designing and editing layouts for fabricating microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and integrated circuits (ICs), including multichip module (MCM), chip-on-board (COB), printed-circuit board (PCB), and thin-film technologies, among many others.
As open-source software goes, this program is no lightweight; it's a 30MB download that offers the choice of several versions when you install it, including a totally free basic version and two versions that requires a license key available from Juspertor for a small fee. However, this tool is so complex that starting out with the basic edition seems sensible. LayoutEditor has about as many icons as you can imagine, especially the full version, which adds numerous features over the reduced and basic versions. All editions share the same basic interface, a familiar layout seen on countless graphics, CAD, and design tools, completely customizable in its appearance and its complement of tools. The main display is a black field delineated by a grid of dots, with floating, draggable toolbars for this program's vast selection of geometric shapes, angles, and grids. The program uses Photoshop-style layers and cells that you can create, save, and reuse. Its full complement of drawing tools will pose little challenge to anyone who has used a typical graphics editor. Lacking IC design experience, we were basically able to create pretty patterns, but the examples of what this tool can do in experienced hands actually resemble artworks in their geometric complexity and colorful patterns. That they're actually functional nanocircuits only makes them that much more amazing.
Open-source projects like LayoutEditor have the power to put high-tech tools into a lot of talented and deserving hands. Who knows where it could lead?
LayoutEditor is a program to design and edit layouts for MEMS/IC fabrication. It is suitably for Multi-Chip-Modules (MCM), Chip-on-Board (COB), Low temperature co-fired ceramics (LTCC), Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits (MMIC), printed circuit boards (PCB), GDS Editor thick film technology, and thin film technology. It has sophisticated functions like all angles, font generator, macros, Boolean operations, design rule checker, OPC, netlist driven layout and LVS. The Calma GDSII file format is used as the primary file format. Also OASIS (Open Artwork System Interchange Standard), DXF, CIF (Caltech Intermediate Form) and Gerber (RS-274X) are full supported. Alliance, Lasi file can be imported.
More Products to Consider
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- View and print digital design files containing information abou...
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Create advanced 3D graphics, animations, and dynamic broadcast ...
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Compile and generate AutoCAD Shapes or Fonts.
- Covert CAD files to shape files on PC.
- Convert your ESRI shapefiles to AutoCAD compatible files.
- Create an electronic portfolio, keep track of your previous wor...
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Design primers to RefSeq genes automatically using primer3.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Create digital photographs with the look and feel of film.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Save civilians from a war in this online stra.
- Edit images with this natural-style paint tool.
- Create original artworks with flame brushes.
- Design quickly and confidently with Adobe Illustrator CS4 in yo...
All versions:2.3 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
Version: LayoutEditor build 20111218
very fast display of huge files, excellent viewer!
documentation could be more detailed
"Not free software. You cannot save files"
Version: LayoutEditor build 20100404
None. Could not use it because you have to pay to safe.
Not a free software. You have to pay.
Very unfair from the company to give this product as "free" while it is effectively useless as you cannot save. There was nothing in the limitations section for that.
"a bait and switch I don't appreciate being duped"
Version: LayoutEditor build 20100217
There are none as of yet
Sadly it is not what is addvertised
It is indicated as sketch up Layout tool update not even close I will give it a try but from what I have seen your layout editor isn't even close Tech tracker did the same to me in the ArtRage 2.5 Free it said it was an update to full install which I own already it replace my full installed version. so had to reinstall my full version and uninstall the version I downloaded through TechTracker which says I need to update again. I don't appreciate the Bait and switch tactics cnet uses