CNET Editors' review
Circuit and electronics designers may need an option to better design products on a Mac. LayoutEditor for Mac may not be worthwhile for the average user, but for those needing this type of software, it could be a good option.
Download and installation of LayoutEditor for Mac occurred quickly despite the lack of a native installer. After startup and the acceptance of a lengthy user agreement, the program starts quickly, but lacks any instructions or visible support. The interface is confusing to the average user and the Help section did little to demonstrate the program's features. There are several buttons along the top of the window and a separate row of 14 along the side. Few of their functions are easily determined by the button's graphic. While confusing, the program does work well and has most of the functioning of other, very expensive, computer-aided design programs. Users can zoom in and out to create details at several different sizes, which can be used for different parts of a design. For those with some CAD experience, the program should be easy to use, while others may only be able to create basic shapes, lines, and text boxes.
While too complicated for those without design software experience, LayoutEditor for Mac's features and performance make it a useful option for those looking for design software.
The LayoutEditor is a program to design and edit layouts for MEMS/IC fabrication. As well as it is suitably for Multi-Chip-Modules (MCM), Chip-on-Board (COB), Low temperature co-fired ceramics (LTCC), Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuits (MMIC), printed circuit boards (PCB), GDS Editor thick film technology, thin film technology, .... It has sophisticated functions like all angles, font generator, macros, boolean operations, design rule checker, OPC, netlist driven layout and LVS. The Calma GDSII file format is used as the primary file format. Also OASIS (Open Artwork System Interchange Standard), DXF, CIF (Caltech Intermediate Form) and Gerber (RS-274X) are full supported. Alliance, Lasi file can be imported. The LayoutEditor is crossplatform compatible and runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and much more plattforms.
What's new in this version:
- extension of the device extraction tool,
- pattern search,
- a couple a bug fixtures,
- and much more...
More Products to Consider
- Create or download 3D models.
- Create or download 3D models.
- 3D modeling, animation & rendering tool.
- Create and process PDF documents.
- Convert PDF to most formats including word documents, images, a...
- 3D modeling, rendering, animation.
- Design home and office interiors on Mac.
- Convert PDF files to various formats.
- Paint app similar to MacPaint & Microsoft Paint.
- Outline home plans, lay out furniture & view the results in 3D.
- Photo restoration and retouching.
- Build pretty looking diagrams with minimal effort.
- Create various architectural designs.
- Make a wide variety of modifications to your PDF documents.
- Create gorgeous slideshows easily.
- Edit, convert, and annotate PDF files.
- NCAA college basketball pool manager.
- Photo painting software that's fun for all ages.
- Join multiple PDF files into one single PDF file.
- Page layout & design.
- Run Windows apps on Intel Macs without Windows installed.
- Create pop art designs on your Mac.
- Mac-like archive for scientific journal articles.
- Explore new paths with this vector tool.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: