CNET Editors' review
With awareness of Internet security at an all-time high, keeping track of the unique passwords needed for logins can be difficult. LastPass for Safari for Mac allows a user to sign in with one password and save those multiple logins for use when needed.
Available as a free plugin for Safari, the program's basic features do not require any payment to use. The program installs quickly into Safari without any user interaction needed. The only indication that the plugin is running is a small icon next to the URL bar in the Web browser. Users can access its settings and disable it if needed by going into Safari's preferences section. Essentially, the plugin allows users to create one username and password combination that can be entered when beginning a browsing session. As a user browses through secure sites, the plugin enters previous stored login information, keeping the user from having to sift through multiple passwords to enter. Despite the lack of instructions, LastPass for Safari for Mac performs well. Additional features, including sending data and generating new random passwords, may be unlocked with a premium subscription for $1 per month. However, many of the program's premium features are available in other, free programs. Despite this, the automatic retrieval of passwords as a user browses is a welcome advantage over other programs.
While simple, LastPass for Safari for Mac works well and may help those users with multiple, unique passwords used during Web browsing.
LastPass is the last password you will ever need. It allows you to:
- Create strong passwords, knowing you only have to remember one. Automatically fill out forms to save you time
- Log into your favorite sites with a single click
- Access and manage your data from multiple computers seamlessly
- Share logins with friends and let others share logins with you
- Use One Time Passwords, and a Screen Keyboard to help keep you safe while on the road. Supports IE and Firefox as well, so if you switch browsers you're always in sync, as well as when you switch computers
- Supports Opera, Google Chrome, iPhone, Opera Mini, via Bookmarklets
- Supports importing passwords from other password managers such as 1Password, Roboform, Keepass, PasswordSafe, MyPasswordSafe, Sxipper, TurboPasswords, PassPack, Firefox, Safari and IE's built in password manager
- Exporting your data always available in plugin and the website, even back to IE or Firefox. In windows, helps you recover lost passwords stored on your computer
- Capture passwords that other password managers will not capture like those done in AJAX logins, and multi-step logins like Bank Of America, and frustrating sites like ING bank using the 'Save All Entered Data' feature.
- Make moving to a new computer or using multiple computers much easier.
What's new in this version:
- New: Security score is calculated automatically and shown next to the Security Challenge link in your vault.
- New: Maxthon browser support (beta)
- New: Perform hashing in binary components to speedup login, password iterations now recommended to be at 5000.
- New: LastPass Windows 8 metro app is available in the Windows 8 store. It is free, download it when you upgrade to Windows 8.
- New: Preference to clear login credentials that were filled by LastPass au... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Generate passwords based on a key.
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Hide and protect files and folders. Receive mail with iSight ca...
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Store passwords, logins, notes, then sync to your mobile phone ...
- Easy-to-use protection from viruses, Trojans and worms. Quarant...
- A secure easy to use Password Manager, that includes a password...
- Securely and automatically log into websites and store private ...
- Encrypt or decrypt your PDF documents.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Secure password management application.
- Random password generator.
- Keep track of your software serial numbers, registration codes,...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Keylogger application for your Mac OS X.
- Play a racing game and improve your kid's math skills.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 12 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Version: LastPass for Safari 2.0
ZILCH There are absolutely no Pros about LastPass, These people are Evil
CAN NOT PERMANENTLY DELETE!
I have uninstalled, I have deleted my account, I have restarted my computer & browser & Lastpass is STILL on my toolbar and still shows up when I right click as one of the options.
There has to be someone who knows how to PERMANENTLY delete this Annoying Lastpass.
If not, can someone tell me if you can do a system restore to a previous point on a mac like you can in windows? I have only had this mac about a week.
"Better than 1Password"
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.80.4
Categorize passwords. Use across multiple machines. ALWAYS prompts for saving of passwords.
Can't think of any!
I just got an iMac for Christmas and wanted to continue using LastPass like I did with my PC. I couldn't get the download to work so I started using 1Password. Hated that program. It didn't prompt to save passwords at least half the time and you couldn't categorize passwords for easy recall. Finally I went to the LastPass website and was able to download the extension for the MAC. Ahhh, to have my trusty side-kick back!
"Worked fine while it worked"
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.75.0
Works great with Firefox
Lost it in Safari and no idea how to get it back. Have to enter every last password again.
"Not secure and not easy to use"
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.75.0
Not secure and not very intuitive, especially considering that's what Macs are known for.
Too many security issues and not very well put together, I personally am sticking with RoboForm now that they have a version compatible with Mac computers. It runs seamlessly and you hardly notice the toolbar in Safari. Very easy to use and well supported.
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.75.0
I don't have anything to say because I can't use the program.
The download of LastPass for Mac is a huge document of code. I don't see any way to install it on my Mac Book.
"Inconsistent and Tech Support Awful"
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.73.0
Hypothetically good features. Generates complex password.
Disables autofill feature in database
Isn't consistent about offering autofill
Doesn't work automatically to register usernames and passwords
Tech support is pretty much nonexistent for free version
I put in several messages to tech support, but they tell you they put you in back of the premium version users, and they sure are right. They would send me a message back that since they have not heard from me they are closing the issue, but they never answered the question. And in response, I cannot see anything to do but send another message from scratch, which appears to be a new issue. Then the other one gets "resolved" without any feedback at all. It's awful--and worth exactly what I paid for it.
I find the tutorial videos to be incomplete and to not match what I see on my computer. Sometimes the features work and sometimes they don't.
And then there's the problem with the work database that I use. Apparently LastPass disables the autofill that is very convenient for me in that database and has nothing to do with usernames or passwords. This is one of the issues they were "investigating" and then marked "resolved" without giving me any answer whatsoever. Perhaps I'll try 1Password; it's $40 but has a good reputation. LastPass should not treat its free users so badly, or these users will never take the premium version. Maybe they are counting on people upgrading from the free version to get rid of the problems, but that doesn't work for me.
"very nice product. love the cloud sync."
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.72.0
fast, easy to use. works on mac, windows, and iOS.
font is to small on the iPhone and there is no way to change it.
very good product. i would have stayed with 1password, but it did not work with windows at the time I started using lastpass. so i switched and am very happy.
"It is a good program but must be set up correctly."
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.70.0
It is growing on me as I understand it better. It does allow you to control the way it works but worthwhile spending some time figuring it out so that it works the way you want it to function with different web sites.
When it generates a password for a new site it somehow doesn't remember it when i logon to the site again, of course that could me not understanding it fully!!!
I do not understand why some of the features of the program are in German when my main language is English. I live in Germany but my Mac runs in English. I would like to change all features to English but don't know how!
Updated on Oct 26, 2010
"Makes remembering passwords moot. Thank God."
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.69.0
Wonderfully easy to use.
I am not sure how safe this is but Cnet is recommending it so I am willing to trust them.
"Ready for my review Mr. Demille"
Version: LastPass for Safari 1.68.4
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
I take it back... glad this thing came with an uninstaller!
Rinky dink Windows port garbage!
Back to 1Password!