With awareness of Internet security at an all-time high, keeping track of the unique passwords needed for logins can be difficult. LastPass for Safari for Mac allows a user to sign in with one password and save those multiple logins for use when needed.
Available as a free plugin for Safari, the program's basic features do not require any payment to use. The program installs quickly into Safari without any user interaction needed. The only indication that the plugin is running is a small icon next to the URL bar in the Web browser. Users can access its settings and disable it if needed by going into Safari's preferences section. Essentially, the plugin allows users to create one username and password combination that can be entered when beginning a browsing session. As a user browses through secure sites, the plugin enters previous stored login information, keeping the user from having to sift through multiple passwords to enter. Despite the lack of instructions, LastPass for Safari for Mac performs well. Additional features, including sending data and generating new random passwords, may be unlocked with a premium subscription for $1 per month. However, many of the program's premium features are available in other, free programs. Despite this, the automatic retrieval of passwords as a user browses is a welcome advantage over other programs.
While simple, LastPass for Safari for Mac works well and may help those users with multiple, unique passwords used during Web browsing.
LastPass is the last password you will ever need. It allows you to:
- Create strong passwords, knowing you only have to remember one. Automatically fill out forms to save you time
- Log into your favorite sites with a single click
- Access and manage your data from multiple computers seamlessly
- Share logins with friends and let others share logins with you
- Use One Time Passwords, and a Screen Keyboard to help keep you safe while on the road. Supports IE and Firefox as well, so if you switch browsers you're always in sync, as well as when you switch computers
- Supports Opera, Google Chrome, iPhone, Opera Mini, via Bookmarklets
- Supports importing passwords from other password managers such as 1Password, Roboform, Keepass, PasswordSafe, MyPasswordSafe, Sxipper, TurboPasswords, PassPack, Firefox, Safari and IE's built in password manager
- Exporting your data always available in plugin and the website, even back to IE or Firefox. In windows, helps you recover lost passwords stored on your computer
- Capture passwords that other password managers will not capture like those done in AJAX logins, and multi-step logins like Bank Of America, and frustrating sites like ING bank using the 'Save All Entered Data' feature.
- Make moving to a new computer or using multiple computers much easier.
What's new in this version:
- Improved: Further enhancements to Password Generator UI/UX.
- Resolved: Improved handling of filling in iframes and framesets.
- Resolved: Better detection of hidden fields when filling.