CNET Editors' review
There's a reason that flashcards have remained such a popular educational tool: they work. L.A. Flash Cards is an easy-to-use program that takes all of the useful simplicity of physical flashcards and adds helpful features like audio to make your flashcards extra effective. Whether you're learning a foreign language or trying to memorize a set of words or facts for another purpose, L.A. Flash Cards can do things a set of handwritten index cards never could.
The program's interface isn't the most intuitive thing we've ever seen, but it didn't take us too long to get the hang of it. In the card creator interface, collections of cards are displayed with the question on the left and the answer on the right; on either side of the card you can edit the card color and font, insert images, and add audio. We especially liked how easy it was to add audio to a card; just click the record button, speak, and click it again. We quickly created a set of English/Spanish flashcards, saved it, and then opened the program's flashcard presenter to try it out. There are quite a few options here; you can have the cards play automatically or advance them manually, and there's a simple test mode, Leitner system mode, and an option that lets you type a response. If you don't want to use the program's built-in presenter, you can also print your flashcards or even upload them to a server for use on your mobile device. Although the program has a menu option for a Help file, we weren't able to access it; fortunately the program is straightforward enough that this isn't a huge drawback. Overall, we were quite impressed with L.A. Flash Cards, and we think it's a great choice for learners of all ages and levels.
From Lexis Rex:
L.A. Flash Cards is a software program for creating educational flash cards to help you learn anything, anywhere. Flash cards are a fundamental tool for learning using repetitive question and answer exercises. The system includes a flash card creator which lets you create the cards with text, audio, or images. You can then print them out for the classroom or use the viewer on the computer, allowing you to shuffle, swap and do self or checked testing. You can upload text and image cards to your cell phone, iPhone or iPod Touch for learning anywhere. You can also create web based flash cards for use from your web site. If you have audio on each card you can collate all the audio tracks into a single audio file for learning from your iPod or other portable music player.
What's new in this version: Version 1.5.3 fixes bugs and replaces the iGoogle Gadget functionality.
More Products to Consider
- Make learning easier with computer flash cards for whatever you...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Create, print, organize, and study your own custom flash cards.
- Improve your memory and enhance your learning with automated fl...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Receive alert notifications on natural phenomenon.
- Teach children various topics including animals, alphabet, numb...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Eliminate repetitive typing and manage frequently used text sni...
- Create custom bingo cards for teachers and parents.
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"so far the best!"
Version: L.A. Flash Cards 1.4.4
uses graphics and text
presenter application is done well
can be run randomly
can be accessed offline
great options in setup
best tool for studying and teaching
none so far
I highly recommend this application to students, parents, and techers. Easy and fun to use. Such a great tool especially during exams.
"best flashcards program i have ever used!"
Version: L.A. Flash Cards 1.4.4
easy, fast, effective. can change background color, can change font size and style. can add and drag pictures, can add audio, can record in the program for each card, automatically adds a new card while you are making flashcards, swap columns, download flashcards to mobile.
in testing mode, can go back to previous card and cant jump to a card that is very far ahead in the batch.
"Very good Flash Card program"
Version: L.A. Flash Cards 1.3.1
This program can show text and pictures. And it can play sounds too. Which is more than most programs in this category can do. And it's very simple to use too.
This program doesn't have any way of controlling the speed of its automatic presentation of flash cards.
The automatic presentation of flash cards is too fast in this program. And there is no way to slow it down. Which means that you can only use this program manually. You have to press the 'next' button every time you want to see the next flash card.
"Very good software. Thanks!"
Version: L.A. Flash Cards 1.2.3
1. Is easy to build flash cards at time.
2. Allow copy- paste images without to have import as file!
3. Allow record directly from micropone.
4. Allow learn with the beautiful Leitner system.
5. And much more!
I only suggest a minor improvements. Please see below.
I only suggest a minor improvements:
1. I would like if Leitner mode can be maintained without configure it each time that I use the program.
2. Allow set default folder for save de sets of flash cards.
3. Save the status file of each card on the same directory of cards.
4. Change the checkbox "Don't ask again" for a button.
5. The possibility of set keys on keyboard for Leitner functions.
6. Possibility of add chapters names to each flash card.
7. Spanish version.
I tryed much more flash card software but this is the best for me.
Excellent program Rex. Thank you for make it free!