CNET Editors' review
They say that looking for a job is a full-time job in itself. If you're putting that much effort into your job search, it makes sense to have a tool to help you organize all those cover letters, resumes, and dream positions. Job Search Toolbox does exactly that. It's not perfect, but if you're having trouble keeping track of what you need to send, what you've already sent, and to whom, it can help.
The program's interface is not particularly intuitive, and new users will definitely have to consult the built-in Help file. A Quick Start guide leads you through the process of configuring the program, which includes setting up its e-mail capabilities and organizing your various cover letters and resumes. (You are targeting your cover letters and resumes to the different positions you're applying for, right?) The program contains a sort of browser that has Monster, CareerBuilder, Beyond, and HotJobs (now defunct and merged with Monster) set as favorites. You can add other location-specific Web sites to your favorites as well. Once you find a job you're interested in, the program can automatically (with varying degrees of success) extract the details of the job listing, including the company, position, and contact information, and save it. You can then e-mail the hiring manager directly from Job Search Toolbox, attaching the appropriate versions of your cover letter and resume. For each job opening, you can make note of the date your application was submitted, your interview date, and more. It took us a while to feel like we had really gotten the hang of the program, but once we got used to it, it wasn't horribly difficult to use. It can be a little slow, and at almost 299MB it's not a lightweight download. But if you need a way to keep track of your job applications, it could be a valuable tool.
Job Search Toolbox comes as a ZIP file. It installs a desktop icon without asking and leaves a folder behind upon removal.
From Ramjet Systems:
Job Search Toolbox is software that automates your job search by streamlining the process of searching, tracking contacts, writing cover letters, managing resumes, and more. In five minutes you can have an email ready to send to an employer. No more tedious editing of cover letters. No more copying and pasting of data from job listings. It all happens automatically so you don't have to do it. Benefits: Saves you time by automating job search related tasks. Very reasonably priced (about the cost of one dinner out). Organizes all of your job search related data in one place. Easy to learn and use with intuitive interface features. Contact auto-extract feature. Job Listing auto-extract feature. Cover Letter auto-build feature. File auto-attach feature. Built-in email capability for sending emails. Job Description auto-store feature. URL auto-link feature. Search form (works just like a Web browser). Email form (works just like an email application). Resume form. Cover Letter form. Cover Letter Maintenance form. View Applications form. Application List form. Calls form (keep track of calls made to contacts). Call List form. Settings form. Reports form (for example: report to submit to ESC). Help file (an extensive help file is provided).
What's new in this version: Version 2.6 changed the license to freeware and removed the copy controls (you should no longer have to register).
More Products to Consider
- Manage your job searching process and create professional resum...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Use job search management tools to get organized, get focused, ...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Search Internet sites offering employment opportunities, stock ...
- Get over 1,500 Human Resource documents and employment advertis...
- Create professional employee contracts and your staff handbook.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Search the Internet for new jobs and connect with people who ca...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Keep track of job opportunities, applications, companies, key p...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Save and retrieve virtually any info related to job searches.
- Create a professional-looking resume.
- Trace employment and organize your organization's working proce...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Host recruitment (applicant tracking) system for HR departments...
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Administer, design, and process employment and academic tests.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content