CNET Editors' review
JPEGsnoop is a free image decoder that wrings every drop of data that can be extracted from JPEG images. It's compact and fully portable, so you can take it along with you on a USB drive or other memory device and run it from any compatible Windows machine without having to install it. It can open not just JPEGs but also AVI, DNG, PDF, and THM files, and it also extracts embedded JPEG files. As for the data it extracts, we didn't know that JPEGs contained so much information.
We extracted JPEGsnoop's compressed download and opened the program's plain but businesslike user interface. This program offers online assistance via the Help menu, but its old-school Windows functionality basically explains itself. We clicked the File menu and selected Open Image. Our image appeared as a thumbnail in the bottom preview panel, while the main view was filled with information so detailed that much of it won't be of use to anyone but graphics professionals, unless you can make good use of the histogram stats and code lengths displayed in various Huffman Tables. But this tool is clearly aimed at professional users like photographers, Web designers, and programmers. It offers versatile features such as the ability to process batches of files, save log files, and export JPEG and TIFF files. JPEGsnoop offers many sophisticated options; for instance, we were able to select between a fast, low-resolution process and a slower but more thorough and accurate scan. Among the program's more prosaic options are selectable tool tips known as Coach Messages.
For those who need it, JPEGsnoop is just the thing, especially since it's compact, portable, free, and easy to use.
From Calvin Hass:
JPEGsnoop is a free, portable detailed image decoder that examines any file type containing JPEG compressed images and reports a wealth of hidden information. It can even be used to determine the source of an image or whether it has been edited. Can open .JPG, .THM, .AVI, .DNG, .PDF and extract embedded JPEG files. JPEGsnoop reports countless details, including image quality, EXIF / IPTC metadata, or huffman table decode.
What's new in this version: Version 1.6.1 has added support for long filenames (>64 chars) in GUI and changed SOS component header table display format.
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Font search.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Bar guide with 775 classic & non-traditional drinks.
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Change the file name of multiple files or directories.
- Crate memorable slideshows from your photos.
- View the HTML code of a Web site.
- Transform batches of your images into different formats.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
">>> HIJACK ALERT <<<"
Version: JPEGsnoop 1.6.1
If any, not worth the grief.
Even though I specifically declined the bogus search toolbar, it was installed, anyway - on all of my browsers.
CNet bears some responsibility for allowing crap(ware) to be shoveled at us.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content