CNET Editors' review
Do you handle a lot of image files? Snapshots, archives, and pictures to upload can pile up, especially when they need to be resized, cropped, converted, or watermarked. Sometimes you just want a quick, easy way to do those jobs. Or maybe your PC didn't come bundled with a big-box graphics package and you just want a simple assortment of essential image tools. How about Image Tools? That's the name of IMDrops' free bundle of fast, powerful image apps that handle all the basics we mentioned, and more, including sharing screenshots and uploading image files.
Image Tools has a plain user interface, but it's well designed, with an Images field above an Info panel and progress bar on a subtle gray background. We started with the Main menu, which let us add images to start a new project or open an existing one. We browsed our Pictures library and added an album of assorted JPEGs and PNGs: So far, so easy. We highlighted an image and clicked Process. The Process menu offers a good selection: Adjust brightness, gamma, and contrast; crop, deborder, flip, and rotate; add watermarks; and convert to grayscale, negative, and sepia. We started with a sepia image. After we'd chosen a destination, Image Tools presented a small pop-up that let us set the level (Quality) of sepia transformation. We previewed and opened the new image in our usual image viewer. Image Tools had done an excellent job. Next we tried a negative image with a similar process and equally excellent results. The watermarking tool is neat; it has X- and Y-axis settings and let us browse to any watermarking file we had. The More menu just leads to an About file with a Web link, and the Language menu offered two options, English and Russian. The IMDrops menu accesses the screenshot and image publishing and sharing tools, which all use a similar linking tool.
Image Tools offers excellent image processing capabilities in an easy-to-use package, and it's free. We think many users will like the sound of that, but more to the point, they'll like the look of it, too.
From Union D:
Image Tools is a screen capture and file sharing tool. It features multi-threaded batch image resizing, conversion, cropping, flipping/rotating, watermarks, decolorizing (grayscale, negative, sepia), and optimizing. The BMP, GIF, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, and EMF image types are supported. It is compatible with MONO (only for GNOME). Multicore processing is supported to increase performance. The quality for output when optimizing is variable. Color channels can be filtered. An internal benchmarking tool is available. Indexed pixel format images can be processed. You can publish pieces of your screen, files and send links to everyone you want to share it.
What's new in this version: Version 3.5 fixed several errors which appears when viewing images.
More Products to Consider
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Exchange resolution, orientation, format, and name of your imag...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
- View, resize, watermark, convert, rename, and batch-process ima...
- Process Images - resize, add borders, overlay text, and/or rota...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Compress images by converting them to space-saving formats.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Process photos start to finish--from download to editing (inc. ...
- Protect your digital images with ease.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Resize and convert your images in various formats.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Protect photos by adding a visible watermark, convert, and resi...
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Resize and convert TIFF images to TIFF or PDF files in batch mo...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"So simple .... IT'S TOO LIMITED!!"
Version: Image Tools 2.0
Small footprint, otherwise NONE!
TOO LIMITED! Not Intuitive, Images to small, no way to choose initial larger image views .... just too many drawbacks limitations to list.
Not worth your time; Picasa or Irfanview is heads and shoulders a far better choice to use. I also prefer Arcsoft's Photo Studio, but it's not free unless you get it with a digital device or something.
Version: Image Tools 1.5
Have some bugs.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content