CNET Editors' review
Despite a couple of flaws that can be annoying, especially if you use Facebook or Gmail, AnchorFree's Hotspot Shield Elite is an otherwise good tool that does its job well. The shield's job is to protect your online privacy, especially when you're connecting to the Internet via wireless hot spots.
The installation isn't the usual drag-and-drop routine; you need to have admin rights to install it, but as soon as the application is on your computer, you'll notice the change. First of all, your browser can't connect to the Internet until you register the trial version using an e-mail address. Interestingly, the e-mail sent by AnchorFree ended up in the Junk Mailbox, which we found odd, since it's from a security company. What we liked, though, is the product's simple interface: it's a shield that is placed in the Menu bar when you launch the application. It communicates using colors: red is off and green is on. And it's that simple. Hotspot Shield excels in simplicity, and we love the the fact that the application is ad-free.
Unfortunately, the second thing we noticed was that we couldn't connect to our Facebook account. If you have recognized devices activated, the social network will block your account. In addition to that, our Mail application stopped fetching e-mails from our Gmail account. This is pretty annoying if you use Gmail for communication. Except the aforementioned flaws, however, Hotspot Shield performed well during our testing. The load time of the Web sites we visited was visibly faster, so the browsing experience was good (and safe), which is the primary role of the app. Although Hotspot Shield primarily aims to protect the online presence of those who connect to the Internet through hot spots, it can easily become the choice of privacy-conscious individuals as well.
We liked the feeling of a protected online presence, but if the shield works against you, then it isn't quite the tool you need. Also, users only have eight days of free protection, and they need to opt for one of the available offers if they want to have all their browsing information shielded from prying eyes.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Hotspot Shield Elite for Mac 1.585.
Hotspot Shield Elite is AnchorFree's newest edition to the VPN service Hotspot Shield. Hotspot Shield Elite provides: freedom to access Web sites that may be unavailable in some countries; private browsing, leaving no history of what sites have been visited or your location; a personal secure tunnel for all browsing that protects personal information. Elite offers these extra benefits: turbo-charged browsing--Elite runs at least 2 times fast than Hotspot Shield; faster downloads; clearer VoIP calls; and no ads when browsing the Internet.
What's new in this version: - performance improvements
- multiple bugfixes
- no support of 32-bit OS
More Products to Consider
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Secure your computer over public WiFi/Internet with a high-spee...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Easy-to-use protection from viruses, Trojans and worms. Quarant...
- Secure your privacy and maintain your anonymity while surfing t...
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Hide your IP and protect your privacy in the Internet.
- Encrypt & decrypt files of all types using any key code you wan...
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Protect your secret files.
- Change your network card's MAC address (Ethernet).
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Clean cache, clear history - automatic internet eraser - easy, ...
- Protect your personal data like passwords, URLs, attachments, a...
- Simple, secure access to the global Internet you love.
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Encrypt or decrypt your PDF documents.
- Browse the web via fast proxy server.
- MacKeeper is like 911 for your Mac.
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Low cost but finicky and often unusable"
Version: Hotspot Shield Elite 2.72
Low cost and works fine 70% of the time.
I've had problems with this product on various networks and I have no idea why. It works perfectly on some and not at all on others. Sometimes it's so painfully slow that it's unusable.
If you're looking for a low cost product that works 70% of the time, this one is for you. For me, I cancelled by hotspotshield elite subscription and purchased PrivateWiFi which works great.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content