CNET Editors' review
Home Bookkeeping Lite purportedly is a tool to help users manage their personal finances. Our experiences with it, however, suggest it is a tool of annoyance and time-wasting.
The program's interface is pleasantly uncluttered, so we were optimistic. The first major drawback that we encountered is that the program does not allow users to import transactions from their bank's Web site. We acknowledge that there may be some users who don't use online banking, but we suspect that most people will want to import the data and not spend hours entering transactions manually. For users who do want to enter transactions this way, more annoyance is just around the corner. It's easy enough to establish different accounts and start entering transactions--the interface is fairly intuitive--but some of the features make no sense at all. For example, when entering a transaction, users are forced to create a subcategory for each one. Subcategories are a great option to have, but they needn't be mandatory. Even more bizarre and frustrating, users must select a quantity and unit of measurement for each transaction. If you go shopping, Home Bookkeeping Lite will want to know that you bought two pairs of pants. This is idiotic, and as far as we can tell, there's no way to turn it off. The program doesn't seem to have any particularly interesting features or redeeming qualities. The built-in Help file is basic.
Home Bookkeeping Lite is free, but it requires registration and will pester you to upgrade. The program installs desktop icons without asking and leaves a folder behind on removal. We do not recommend this program.
Bookkeeping is your personal financial secretary and advisor. Graphical diagrams and income and spending planners will help you to stop wasting money and to start saving. It features multi-user support. Many users can use Home Bookkeeping, each logging in using their own username. To ensure privacy and security, a username can be protected with a password. Adding/editing/deletion of users is handled through the User Manager, expense record keeping, income record keeping, made/repaid debts records keeping, partial debt repayment, interest rate, and debt repayment monitoring.
More Products to Consider
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Compose and publish blog posts for Windows Live Spaces or a num...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Enjoy movies and all your media on your PC, notebook, smartphon...
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Surf the Web with an immersive browser for Windows 7 and Vista.
- Save time typing texts and filling forms by using customized te...
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Learn foreign language vocabulary, grammar, and create your own...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"The old "bait and switch" routine. Do not go there."
Version: Home Bookkeeping Lite 3.0
After I downloaded the program it was not accessable unless I registered it. However, the only way you can get a registration number is to buy the program.
"does not work"
Version: Home Bookkeeping Lite 3.0
it downloads well but you have to register to get the product key to use it and when you enter the product key, it has a error message that pops up making this software unusable.