CNET Editors' review
Home Bookkeeping Lite purportedly is a tool to help users manage their personal finances. Our experiences with it, however, suggest it is a tool of annoyance and time-wasting.
The program's interface is pleasantly uncluttered, so we were optimistic. The first major drawback that we encountered is that the program does not allow users to import transactions from their bank's Web site. We acknowledge that there may be some users who don't use online banking, but we suspect that most people will want to import the data and not spend hours entering transactions manually. For users who do want to enter transactions this way, more annoyance is just around the corner. It's easy enough to establish different accounts and start entering transactions--the interface is fairly intuitive--but some of the features make no sense at all. For example, when entering a transaction, users are forced to create a subcategory for each one. Subcategories are a great option to have, but they needn't be mandatory. Even more bizarre and frustrating, users must select a quantity and unit of measurement for each transaction. If you go shopping, Home Bookkeeping Lite will want to know that you bought two pairs of pants. This is idiotic, and as far as we can tell, there's no way to turn it off. The program doesn't seem to have any particularly interesting features or redeeming qualities. The built-in Help file is basic.
Home Bookkeeping Lite is free, but it requires registration and will pester you to upgrade. The program installs desktop icons without asking and leaves a folder behind on removal. We do not recommend this program.
Bookkeeping is your personal financial secretary and advisor. Graphical diagrams and income and spending planners will help you to stop wasting money and to start saving. It features multi-user support. Many users can use Home Bookkeeping, each logging in using their own username. To ensure privacy and security, a username can be protected with a password. Adding/editing/deletion of users is handled through the User Manager, expense record keeping, income record keeping, made/repaid debts records keeping, partial debt repayment, interest rate, and debt repayment monitoring.
More Products to Consider
- Manage and track personal financial records and transactions.
- Manage any mobile phone from the PC via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or ca...
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Create family budget templates in MS Excel. Excel 2000 or highe...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Calculate expenses and profitability of your enterprise in home...
- Keep track of your money and handle budget wisely.
- Eliminate your credit card debt and consumer loans using popula...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Record, monitor, and manage your financial budget.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Track your income and expenses and manage your bookkeeping.
- Open over 100 different file extensions including DOCX, PPTX an...
- Show where your money is going right down to the penny.
- Facilitate finance management, track income sources and article...
- Organize your home and family.
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Manage financial accounting and reporting tasks in a profession...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"The old "bait and switch" routine. Do not go there."
Version: Home Bookkeeping Lite 3.0
After I downloaded the program it was not accessable unless I registered it. However, the only way you can get a registration number is to buy the program.
"does not work"
Version: Home Bookkeeping Lite 3.0
it downloads well but you have to register to get the product key to use it and when you enter the product key, it has a error message that pops up making this software unusable.