CNET Editors' reviewAlthough it's not as comprehensive as some competing privacy tools, HistorySweep still makes a good case for itself. The tabbed interface is simple to navigate, if a bit bland, though a colorful photo of a bizarre-looking superhero helps add some flair. When enabled, the program sits in your system tray; right-clicking the icon lets you access several options. We appreciate that the application can delete your surfing history from a number of browsers, including Opera, Firefox, AOL, and Netscape. It also scours Windows system areas such as the Recycle Bin and the Run menu. Support for third-party apps is present, but is limited compared to what other programs in the class offer. To make up for this, the app includes both a pop-up blocker and a boss key that lets you quickly hide all open browser windows. The pop-up blocker supplies a whitelist and demonstrates decent performance. The program now contains a file shredder, but since it doesn't seem to employ secure algorithms, we wouldn't use it to destroy top-secret data. This program isn't perfect, but it certainly has its share of positives.
HistorySweep is a simple yet powerful privacy-protection tool for removing your Internet-surfing tracks. Your Web browser's built-in privacy functions will not completely and securely delete all your history files, leaving them vulnerable to recovery. HistorySweep comes with a pop-up killer, which will disallow Web sites from opening annoying pop-up windows on your computer.
Version 2.2 has a few new features and several bug fixes. New features include plugin support for the MSN Desktop Search recent history, user definable hotkey for the 'Hide Tray Icon' option, and updated functionality on the third party plugin tab. Bug fixes include updated support for MSN ToolBar recent history, updated support for FireFox 1.5 cache, updated support for AOL 9.0 SE autocomplete search history, the AOL toolbar, and some additional tweaks. Now includes support for the new FireFox naming scheme which allows HistorySweep to autosweep FireFox 1.5 history.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Tune up and maintain your PC, with anti-spyware, privacy protec...
- Surf the net quickly.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Zip and unzip files, protect them by encryption, connect to clo...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Improve your search on Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Craigslist.
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Good trial run!"
Version: HistorySweep 2.2
It was a good trial run, easy to use and I was please with the measure of privacy protected - however, mt curiosity makes me wonder if there is a privacy program out there that lets you surf anonymously for free...?