CNET Editors' review
Ashkon Technology's Historical Quotes Downloader is a free download that costs just shy of $50. Before you look up who said "A fool and his money are soon parted," be advised it's not that kind of historical quote. This software instantly downloads intraday and daily historical quotes for stocks, mutual funds, and indices traded in the United States or Canada, including NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX. With a customizable ASCII output, it's compatible with leading financial tools like MetaStock and Omega TradeStation. The program downloads quotes from free Internet sources, so there are no subscription fees or hidden costs, just a one-time registration fee.
The program offers a lot of settings and options that require some knowledge of investing and how the markets work, but there's a Help file with good explanations and background information. The one-time registration cuts down the hassle involved in synchronizing the software with a subscription service, which most investment-related software requires. It will return minute-by-minute or hour-by-hour quotes, adjust for splits and dividends, and export the data for analysis in popular applications. It quickly returns accurate quotes, thanks to multiple server support. Its only real fault is its limitation to Windows XP and below, which may be an issue for investors, who tend to be cutting-edge types. Thought Windows 7's XP mode runs programs that Vista doesn't, a proper update is needed.
Historical Quotes Downloader installs desktop icons without asking; it's free to try for 10 days. However, being limited to XP somewhat limits its appeal.
From Ashkon Technology:
This software designed for stock traders downloads intraday and end of day historical quotes of stocks and indices traded at US and international exchanges. It gives data output in a customizable ASCII format which is compatible the with most spreadsheet and charting / technical analysis software such as MetaStock, Omega TradeStation, Microsoft Excel and others. Stock quotes are simply stored on your hard drive for future research or charting with third party applications. NYSE, NASDAQ and AMEX exchanges data is available. No subscription fees - save money on stock quotes data feed. Up to 20 years of end of day quotes. Supports multiple data servers and is capable of downloading intraday data. Historical stock prices output is saved in plain text format contaning open, high, low, closing price and volume. Does not require data feed subscription fees.
More Products to Consider
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- View end-of-day quotes for any publicly traded stock in the U.S...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Search and download stock market prices, intraday historical da...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Download data for technical analyses and retrieve free End Of D...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Download real and historical stock quotes to Excel spreadsheets...
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Download free quotes and build complicated trading systems in M...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Download multiple historical stock-data files from the Web auto...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Simplify the process of downloading historical stock quotes.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Collect, chart, and load security price data from Yahoo and MSN...
- Add stock, mutual fund, and option quotes to your MS Excel.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
All versions:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Publisher changed product after I purchased it"
Version: Historical Quotes Downloader 1.72
Given my experience, none that I can think of.
Company changed product after I purchased it and in the process eliminated much of the functionality.
As it originally was designed, it did what it was advertised to do. It was clunky; the ability to download for periods of time different from a few menus choices didn?t exist, but it did download intraday quotes
Six months after I bought it, and without warning, it suddenly stopped working. After a short while I went to the publisher's website and found a notice that users of the program needed to download a new version. I did that and discovered that much of the functionality had been removed. Gone was the ability to hook up to the ?proprietary servers? that the company had previously advertised. Instead I had the option of either downloading from Google or Yahoo. I also lost the ability to download data for periods less than one month. The date / time fields which had been two separate fields before were merged into one field; this made the new downloads incompatible with my old database without some extra work. Worse of all, the ability to get intraday data had been totally removed. There are free alternatives to this program that I paid $49 for. Puzzled by all of this, I returned to the publisher?s website and found an obscure messaged that said that they no longer supported intra quotes. Obviously they need update their description here. These guys should be prosecuted.
"it's very very good"
Version: Historical Quotes Downloader 1.3
I need it to get money
I need it to get money