CNET Editors' review
Every now and then we run across a recent rendition of a classic video game, and the reproductions are often so faithful that we don't have much to say besides, "If you liked the original, you'll like this, too." This is the case with Highway Encounter, a game originally released in 1986 and lovingly recreated here. By modern standards it's not terribly exciting, but it remains fun and worth playing for the nostalgia factor, if nothing else.
The object of Highway Encounter is to push a Lasertron along a highway riddled with dangerous obstacles. A group of five droids is in charge of pushing the Lasertron, and the player gets to control one droid at a time. The game requires a bit of speed on the controls, but it's mostly about strategy; you must travel ahead on the highway, clearing obstacles and enemies by moving them aside (in the case of the former) or shooting them with your laser (in the case of the latter). If your droid is destroyed, it's back to the beginning to start over with another one. Although there's nothing particularly impressive about this game, we were happy to see a few nice extras, such as the ability to specify which keys are used for the controls and to turn the game's music on and off. Highway Encounter isn't going to rock anyone's world, but users who were fond of the original game will enjoy a walk down memory lane with this PC version.
Highway Encounter is free. It comes as a ZIP file and is accessible after extraction, with no need for installation. We recommend this game to all users.
Highway Encounter was originally written by Costa Panayi in 1985, and the version I have remade is the ZX Spectrum version. The basic idea of the game is to get the Lasertron (Pyramid shaped item) to then of the highway in order to destroy the Alien mothership. The original game featured flip screens for each of the 30 zones of the highway. I however have opted for a scrolling highway. To guide the Lasertron to its destination you have 5 droids to push it. You control one droid at a time, and if your droid blows up you will be given control of the next droid. Unfortunately on the highway there are several obstacles which you must render safe. You can destroy the alien with your laser, but be careful they don't over heat. Also you can position barrels, and certain block in the way of the mines which also litter the highway. Once you have cleared a way the Lasertron can be pushed to the end.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Explore your surroundings and solve the mystery of your crash l...
- Play 450 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Popular puzzle arcade type of game.
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Create powerful games that make any educational experience more...
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Help Mario ride a motobike through different levels.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.