CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Walkie-talkies don't offer stellar range unless you spend hundreds for them. This free app gives you a similar experience over the phone. HeyTell doesn't give you a large amount of time to leave your message, but it works just as quickly as a text. It's a good way to sneak someone a voice mail when you can't find working voice coverage.
HeyTell only gives you about 2 minutes to speak your message. This should be enough to say what you need to say, but you might fill up a person's inbox if you try to send longer speech over multiple messages. Sending and receiving is relatively instant, and the messages are compressed enough that they don't swallow much of your data. Audio quality is about equal to your phone's call quality, too. The signup process requires you to give the app plenty of information, but you can get out of it by signing in through Facebook or Twitter. You can also share voice messages on those social networks instead of sending them to multiple people. When you tap the HeyTell's settings menu, it contains a few features -- like a robotic voice changer -- that you have to pay to use. The app's interface leaves plenty to be desired.
If you need to communicate a message that a text can't convey, this app is a good way to send it. Though it's a fun way to communicate, it doesn't really replace calling or texting. However, some will find waiting for their friend's voice response fun enough to use HeyTell as a replacement for other free voice chat apps.
HeyTellÂ® is a cross-platform voice messenger & walkie-talkie that allows you to instantly talk with friends & family who use Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7 devices with the press of a single button.
- Choose from 3 different privacy levels to control how users can contact you without an invite:
- Low privacy: All Facebook friends can HeyTell you. Any of your Twitter followers can HeyTell you. People who know your phone number or email address can HeyTell you.
- Medium privacy: All Facebook friends can HeyTell you. All Twitter friends can talk to you. Friends of your HeyTell friends who know your phone number or email address can HeyTell you.
- High privacy: No one can contact you unless you contact them first or unless you accept their Twitter, Facebook, email, or SMS invite.
What's new in this version: Fixed issue where Samsung Galaxy series users running Android 4.0 would send empty messages after a few minutes of use.
More Products to Consider
- Discover perfect applications to build your mobile life via And...
- Manage and share files wirelessly between WiFi enabled devices.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Meet new people, chat, play games, and have fun.
- Meet MILLIONS of single girls and guys at Skout for flirting, d...
- Get daily recommendations for apps and games and download recom...
- Free Voice and Video Calls!.
- Unblock sites and surf anonymously with your Android device.
- Your robust and comprehensive voice chatting app.
- Chat with ICQ, Facebook, and Google friends, send images, share...
- FREE unlimited text and picture messaging. Chat with your Faceb...
- Download Hookt to stay connected with your friends and chat for...
- Chat over VoIP or via instant messaging, share images and video...
- Instant message, chat, & IM on AIM, Yahoo, GTalk, MySpace, Jabb...
- Completely free visual caller ID with one-click call blocking.
- Make new friends, send free voice, video and photo messages.
- Send free messages and make calls whenever and wherever you are...
- Chat with your Yahoo friends from your Android device.
- Take your business calls, voice messages, and faxes anywhere.
- Enables WiFi Hotspot on your Android phone without a Hotspot pl...
- PingMe is the fastest way to stay connected, socialize and shar...
- Get the free BBM app for the best way to stay connected with fr...
- Chat in GTalk, Yahoo, MSN, AIM, ICQ, Vkontakte, Jabber, Faceboo...
- HEYWIRE SOCIAL MESSAGING HUB!Free Texting (Real SMS), Twitter &...
- Text, send pic messages & group text to anyone in the world for...
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content