CNET Editors' reviewA complicated strategy game needs a detailed step-by-step tutorial or at least a manual, but Hearts of Iron II just pushes you into action in hope that short hints intended for experienced players will help you out. We never fully understood this game's mechanics and doubt the average gamer will, either. In the demo, you command German or American forces in one WWII scenario. Using the attractive strategic map, you're supposed to move troops, establish supply lines, and manage your resources, which include scientists and historical companies like Ford and Krupp. However, in the absence of help information, the already-unfriendly interface becomes a mess of useless screens and windows. Armies reposition themselves and fight battles only once in a game day, effectively making Hearts of Iron II a turn-based strategy game. Fans of that genre may find a lot to like, but the game just didn't grab us.
From Paradox Interactive:
To secure peace, prepare for war. You are the supreme ruler of a country of your choosing during World War II. Guide your nation through warfare and diplomacy, and take part in the battles that changed history. This demo for the war strategy game Hearts of Iron II lets you try out the Ardennes Offensive scenario from either the Allied or Axis side.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Play online shooting hunting outdoors game with tournaments and...
- Place falling marbles into one place.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Test and run DOS based games on a DOSBox graphical environment.
- Play an arcade aviation simulator dedicated to the events of WW...
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Real time strategy (RTS) game.
- Play 425 solitaire versions, from classics like Klondike to his...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Fight for control of the oceans.
- Showcase various prizes on the screen.
- Choose a wise strategy to clear the board with a limited number...
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Play a free RPG indie game.
- Wage war between systems, hackers, and networks in a matrix of ...
- Assume the role of a company commander on the front lines of Wo...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"A Complicated But Great"
Version: Hearts of Iron II demo
Very Detailed and allows you to completely control all your movements and your troops, your reinforcements, and etc.
It does not do the game justice because it does not let you do much aside from attack or place men around. Aside from that the actual game is much better.