CNET Editors' review
Hands Off! for Mac keeps track of every app, background process, and service you run and allows you to restrict hard drive and network access. In addition to set-and-forget rules, the app also features a network monitor that pops up every time a process or app tries to access the Web, providing detailed info. This premium app comes with a trial version.
Hands Off! for Mac requires an administrative password. After launch, it will ask you to choose one of three major presets: automatically allow all network and hard drive requests from apps, define access on a per-app basis, or decide access for all apps, processes, and services. The app features an easy-to-learn interface with a customizable toolbar for adding, editing, and removing rules, as well as a switch to turn them all on or off. Another interesting feature, which is off by default, is a network monitor that pops up every time your Mac accesses the Web. This provides useful information like IP addresses and traffic used, but its constant fading in and out can be quite distracting.
If you're concerned about your privacy and want to restrict unknown apps, Hands Off! for Mac will satisfy your needs. While the streamlined interface and stoplight metaphor are intended to make the software more appealing to casual users, denying network and disk access to system processes you're not familiar with will likely degrade the overall system stability. So use this app only if you know what you're doing.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Hands Off! for Mac 2.1.2.
From One Periodic:
Hands Off! allows you to keep an eye on Internet connections from all applications as to expose the hidden connections, preventing them from sending data without your consent, hence avoiding information leakage. Manage disk access so dubious programs cannot obtain confidential information. Avert permanent changes or data loss by prohibiting disk writing. Prevent viruses and other malware infiltration. Specify which applications should be trusted with specific operations. The flexible configuration enables the smooth running of your activities while maintaining top security.
More Products to Consider
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Our free Antivirus for Mac keeps you safe from all the latest M...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Record keystrokes, IM chats, track visited websites, take scree...
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Fight malware that threaten your security on your Mac and iPhon...
- Protect your privacy by blocking online tracking.
- Restore your lost owner or user password.
- Reclaim disk space by removing apps, sweeping large files, find...
- AppleScript tool to force-eject troublesome disks.
- Secure your privacy and maintain your anonymity while surfing t...
- Support for JustCooler fan cards in PowerBooks.
- Pause apps automatically to get more efficient CPU usage and in...
- Logs when users sign on and sign off from your Mac and allows f...
- Real-time audio file remixing with randomization.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Uses 100% of CPU resources and Impossible to uninstall"
Version: Hands Off! 2.1.0
Similar to Little Snitch
Uses all CPU power
Impossible to uninstall: HandsOffDaemon and Hands Off Monitor: they stay forever after the drag and drop to the basket uninstall procedure and these processes cannot be killed with a terminal or found on the hard drive!
Weird MAC behaviour after installation
I do not recommend this software at all. I installed it and the interface was cute. I chose this program because at that time it was the only one working with 10.9 Mavericks on OSX. Bow I realize that that was a mistake. First of all, the software made my entire system very slow. This all started with the KSFetch/HandsOff conflict, which is documented. Then I uninstalled it, but some bits and pieces of HandsOff remained somehow. The two resource-consuming processes are still there, and whenever I terminate them (via a terminal or via the activity monitor, they magically re-appear one second later and re-consume 100% of CPUY resources for whatever reason. And no way to find the files behind Hands Off Daemon and Hands Off Monitor and to erase them! The Finder and other applications, such as EasyFind, cannot find any file whose name is related to HandsOff!... HandsOff is officially uninstalled, but is still there and wreaking havoc in my system!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content