From Robert Krawitz:
Gutenprint, formerly named Gimp-Print, is a suite of printer drivers that may be used with most common UNIX print spooling systems, including CUPS, lpr, LPRng, or others. These drivers provide high quality printing for UNIX (including Macintosh OS X 10.2 and above) and Linux systems that in many cases equal or exceed proprietary vendor-supplied drivers in quality and functionality, and can be used for demanding printing tasks requiring flexibility and high quality. This software package includes an enhanced Print plug-in for the GIMP that replaces the plug-in packaged with the GIMP, and Ghostscript and CUPS drivers, as well as Foomatic data supporting the Ghostscript driver.
More Products to Consider
- Add customizable gestures to Magic Mouse or MacBook trackpad.
- High-quality scanner driver with support for several manufactur...
- Granularly customize input device behavior.
- Mac driver for the Xbox 360 controller.
- Printer driver for the multi-function device.
- Enable Digidesign hardware.
- Scanner drivers.
- For Bamboo, Graphire, Cintiq tablets.
- For HP printers.
- Play games with console controllers on Mac.
- Edit and manage your images.
- For ASIO-compatible apps.
- Recover deleted pics from digital media.
- Update your Apple DVD Player to get optimized DVD playback, Blu...
- Companion for the iPad app that lets you control your Mac or PC...
- Driver and software for the multi-function printer.
- Enable HID devices: gamepad, joystick, mice.
- Creates and animates lines and shapes.
- Drivers for video capture devices based on Empia 28xx.
- Install most thermal and thermal transfer printers.
- OMF export plugin for Final Cut Pro.
- Create business cards, CD/DVD labels, flyers, newsletters and m...
- Software for Fujitsu high-speed document scanners.
- Printer driver for the photosmart series.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 95 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Saved me from buying a new laser printer"
Version: Gutenprint 5.2.9
Apple LaserWriter 360... I'll bet not too many people still have one of these! This one has been my main printer since around 1997. At that time, it cost more than $1400.
If it were not for Guntenprint this printer would have met it's maker a long time ago when Apple tried to make it impossible to use it.
Fortunately, I can connect to my MB Pro through a USB port and Guntenprint recognizes it printer.
Some of the printer's functions have gone by the wayside. I can't use the manual feed any more. This printer has always been slow but it's even slower now that I'm using a USB connection instead of Ethernet.
One day I hope to upgrade this printer with a new wireless model. Until then, I'm so happy to have a printer driver that works!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: